• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fuel injection gas tank options?

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
What are my options for a gas tank with a fuel injected V8? I have a 2000 5.3L GM engine and want to run an intank pump. I know a few people on this site are running LS1, LT1, and vortec engine. What did you do for a tank?

Thanks!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I recently ordered a 23gal tank from Trailquest, they offered the same tank set up for injection...it was under $200.00, and it's built like a tank....

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
I am using my stock 15 gal (did use stock 20 gal until I relocted the tank) with an inline BBS pump.

Works great !
It is designed to be installed above the tank so no need to place it lower than the tank, I did anyways though!

So far so good.

I am running 3/8" hose to the engine and the stock return line back to the tank. No Vapor lock or loss of fuel.
Low pressure lines from the tank to the pump, high pressure lines from the pump to the filter to the engine.
Low pressure line on return line.

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
Randy,

I talked to trail quest this morning. They quoted me a lot more! $350 for the tank and $97 for the skid. How did you get a tank for under $200?

Mark,

What engine do you have in your jeep?

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
I used a fuel pump from a 92 YJ, it was easy to adapt to the CJ tank. It feeds my LT1.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow...the price sure went up! I was surprised when I bought it how cheap it was...all the comparable ones I found were closer to $350. I guess they realized the market would bear a price increase...

I didn't get the skid plate on mine, they wanted to use diamond and it was welded on...I plan on using smooth steel and making it replacable.

NnF0

Basic User
City
Boston Area
State
MA
:cool:

Super 8,

Does the price include a pump.

I'm thinking that the $300 for the tank does not include the pump.

Maybe approx $250 or so for the pump.

Double check.

Later,

p.s. make sure you get the EFI Tank !

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
NnFO,

The $350 is just for the EFI tank. $97 for the skid. $100 to make the stock GM sending unit and pump fit in the tank. $100 for a SW sending unit so I can use the tank with my stock fuel gauge.

Seemed pricey to me. I am having a hard time finding an alternative though.

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Just use your stock tank. Buy a new pump and mount it outside of the tank.
Or you could even retrofit a YJ tank/pump into your 8 for a fraction of the cost.

So long as you tank doesn't leak and your return lines are working your stock tank should work just fine.

Allthough my tank is mounted in the bed of my 7.5 (ha ha) the attached picture should give you an idea of how to run the lines.

The line to the pump comes from the top (just like normal, obviously) I decided to run the return line into the vent inlet/outlets on the side of the tank.
The Electric Fuel Pump is peeking out from behind the roll bar mount and the filter is located on the floor.

Like I said before it seems to work well.
No starvation or venting issues.

attachment.php

Rubberhook

Basic User
City
N. Cape May
State
NJ
I also used an external pump and mounted it to the frame rail! Thought it be alot easier to replace on the trail if it ever went bad! I also mounted a fuel filter right after the pump also attaching it to the frame!