• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

FI or Carb?

D

dougska

Just put in the third 258 for this year....now the Carter BBD is on the fritz (I know, I know...big surprise). I just had the thing ohauled last May, but the ohaul warranty ran out while the Jeep was sitting in the driveway rotting. Wondering what you guys would reccomend...I am thinking Weber carb, but which one? Or should I just dive right in a convert to FI? And if FI is the answer, do I buy the Howell (or something like it) or do I do a 4.0 head swap...
I know much has been written about this carb vs. FI debate, so I appreciate you all puting up with another person asking.

Thanks, and by the way, if anyone has got a radiator they'd like to sell, let me know...can't think about driving it until I stop the bright green river flowing from mine.

doug

J

JOKER

fuel injection

I'm very happy with my Mopar FI, but it cost over $1700. Now that I have a little more wrench turning experience, I'd opt to do the 4.0L head conversion and injector swap. It may not be as "plug and play" as the injector kit, but you'd probably save money, and get over 200 horses.

Some may argue carbs are more cost-effective, but I like the immediate start-ups (in all weather), smooth idle and increased gas mileage that the FI provides.....and I'll never have to tune, rebuild or replace a carb again! :rollin:

HTH

85CJ8

just as you i am debating carb or efi as joker said a carb is more cost affective ,and will hardly ever brake on you ,ive been on trail rides where something as simlple as a bad fuel pump or relay [dont know why they didnt carry a spare] has left efi stranded while my carb keep running granted a spit and sputter every now and then but i didnt need the hook or a tow either .the mopar kit seems the most complete but all efi kits start about 1500 on up thats gears and lockers if you dont have em,but efi will give you smoother running somewhat better mileage and some more power or get a weber for under 400 bucks ,i havent decided yet and dont forget about emissions if your state checks that.

D

dougska

carb

yeah...
My jeep sees mostly (gasp!) road use. But that's mostly because it's been so messed up I haven't been able to drive the distance to a trail...

But yeah, VA does have emission checks, good for the environment, bad for my jeep. And since it does see mostly road use, mileage is kinda important....

hmmmm....still so undecided.

thanks for the input, though!

doug

R

Rhinojr

Re: carb

Hey, I saw from the 'Scrambler in DC' post that you are in the area. I am near Annapolis. Anyway, don't let your rig get you down. Repairs don't have to be expensive. The BBD is a very reliable carb and gets good mileage as long it's on level ground (good for on road use), if it is not the electronic version with metering rods. For a cheap fix, get a used one and rebuild it. Kits are less than $15. Then do the computer bypass and remove all the excess wiring/hoses. For slightly more, get a rebuilt electronic-less carb (~$130). The webber option is over $300 I think, and works well. For under $1000 you can go the salvaged EFI route, either using the complete 4.0, or the head swap option for slightly more work, but better results. The last option is the EFI, but that's a lot to spend on a tired 258. Every option has its trade-off. I have done all except the mopar kit, and even the holley 390 which I did not care for. The BBD is still the best for the money, just does not do inclines well. I am most satisfied with the EFI, especially done cheaply. Good luck with your decision. I also have a radiator, among other things, if you want to stop by. morningred@mindspring.com

D

dougska

thanks

hey rhino...
thanks, that's a ton of info...just what I wanted...someone who had used it all and could tell me what worked and what didn't. I am definetely done with the BBD, though.
Anyway, thanks for the offer on the radiator, I ran to Brandywine and picked one up for $75 today, and it's set up for an auto tranny (unlike my old one which had a separate cooler plugged onto the core). I guess it's just one of those things...pulled the radiator, then saw how easy it would be to remove the grill, then came the fenders, and so on. Now my jeep is sitting in the driveway front-end open...pretty darn cool looking, I'll have to take some pics I suppose. A whole lot easier to clean that engine up with nothing around it!

BTW...if anyone would be able to just post part by part EXACTLY what I need to collect for a head swap, or shoot me a link to such a list, I would be extremely grateful!

doug

82RedScrambler

Re: Here ya go!

I'll jump in here, like you i found the carter to be a problem. I went with the Holley Projection System, i got a good price on it and had some help putting it on. Once i tinkered with it, it has run very well, especially off road. Yes i have had a problem with the relays, and i have an extra, and while i've never had the fuel pump go out, i do have an extra one of those too. It works better than the conventional carbs off road and i can be on any angle and it will still run. I have heard the Howell is better, but i know it is much more expensive. I like my 258, but i know there are advantages to the 4.0 system. For me this was the most simple way to go to accomplish my goals for the Jeep. Hope that helps.

Phil

R

Rhinojr

Re: thanks

Doug,
Why don't you drop me an e-mail (morningred@mindspring.com). I currently run a 4.0 head on my 4.2 with MPI that I salvaged. I wired it myself and have all the diagrams. I could probably save you some money with what I have learned if you are going in that direction with your Jeep. Just trying to help. Anyway, good luck.

G

GreatCJ8

Re: swap help

Hey Rhinojr & Doug,
Please CC me on that email, as I am on that fence too...
BTW, I'm in VA, too & haven't had my 8 inspected yet, what should I expect?
Do they just look for everything installed (smog parts) or actually hook it up for a reading?

D

dougska

VA emissions

yep...
they hook you up to the smog machine...
when I first bought my jeep in FL, and drove it up here and registered it my mechanic couldn't belieive the thing passed emissions. Anyway, it's not that terrible, but you do have to have emissions done to even register the car, and then it's gotta be done every two years.

I almost left it registered in FL at my mother's address to bypass the safety inspection and smog test, but I don't feel like breaking any more laws than I have to, you know?

Anyway, I emailed Rhino this morning, and either he or I will forward any info on the swap to you.

doug

G

GreatCJ8

Re: VA emissions

Oh well... A couple more years & it's a classic & we won't have to worry about THAT ever again!!!