• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

I'm back

J

jefe4by4

Some of you may have noticed I haven't been around the board the last couple weeks. Matt got me back on today. Thanks Matt.
Installed the cut down '73, J4000, 35 spline, semi-floater, 5 on 5-1/2", D60 on my son Matt's C104 on Sat. past. We put 4.10's and a Detroit Locker in it. Used the original RG&P. It seems to work fine and these new Detroits don't have the loud banging and torque release of the Detroits of yore. It's a lot more road worthy compared to the D44/Lock Right that came out. Tighter too, not so much slop. Both his front and rear axles are 59", WMS to WMS.
That is some stout axle. It took two of us just to lift it out of the truck, and with a lot of grunting.
I'm taking the front D44 (30 spline) RG&P from the '73 donor to a friend on monday to regear (son) Matt's front axle to 4.09. He'll reuse his Gearless Locker on the front axle. His crawl ratio is now 104:1. [6.32x4x4.10]
He and I will be spending 5 days at the 'Hammers' next month for some liesurely rock crawling. We'll both have pretty much the same set up rigs:
104" W.B., D44/D60's, locked, grannie 4 speeds, 4:1 D300's, 4.10's and 4.88's, 36" Swampers, and of course, the obligatory SOA.
regards, as always, jefe

B

BobCA

How about some pics?:D

How wide is a wide track?

He's running a 304 in that isn't he?

M

mulescj8

sounds like soooooooooooo much fun! wish i could be there-JC:p

D

Danno

I was wondering about you. We didnt hear a peep out of you on the club thing, that worried me a little, thought you had deserted us....lol. Any way glad your back.

Whats up with the new Handle? RokHugr get old to you?

J

jefe4by4

Danno,
I tried for two weeks to get back on after my ezboard acct. dissapeared into cyber space. I tried different handles to supercede my old ones and Matt finally made this one stick. ROK HUGR is still my CA license plate though.
regards, as always, jefe

W

WildTurkeyCJ8

name change...

First of all - (belated) Welcome Back Jefe! I always enjoy and learn much from your posts. Secondly, I'm following suit with Jefe and changing my user name from the old "Mikecj8" to the new "WildTurkeycj8" in honor of the upcoming spring turkey season and because "Wild Turkey" is what I use as a CB handle when necessary (I know there are a lot of Matts on this board, but trust me, there's a ton of Mikes out there in the world too!). Plus the new name is more fun for me to use, and that's what owning my jeep is all about. So I just wanted you guys to know who the "new" guy was when I post in the future. -Mike

C

Crossbones

name change

Hi Mike,
You could change your tags to "8TURKEY" :D
I was hoping to see you at last Tuesdays meeting.
Robert

L

LumpyPaint

Re: name change

Yeah,

Opted for a name change myself. Used to be JamaicaBeige, as that is the factory color of my scrambler. As a new fan of Durabak / Herculiner, I opted to change my screen name to LumpyPaint. The name came to me when I was rolling it on. Couldn't stop chuckling. Must have been the fumes. Like the paint, the name is sticking. I still sign my posts the same way though. . .

Regards,

Justin Cardones