• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

transmission failure

L

lineforeman99

My T-18 gave up the ghost on me. It went quick, didn't know what hit it. I am desperate. I would like to pick up a T-5 and Dana 300. I would entertain other options though. I don't want to have to adapt a bunch of parts to make it work. I have a dana 20 transfer that is still good. It did have a spacer between it and the t-18. Don't know why, not that familiar with it. I would like to get a setup that bolts to my 258. My scrambler is stuck in the shop and wants out for summer. Thanks Butch bclark@dmea.net

N

nipeej

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought all CJ8's came with dana 300 transfer case or quadratrac. Any how the Ford NP435 bolts right up to the 258 and you'll need an adapter for the transfer case.

Rick Benelli

P

panthercj

Now that's different, a T18 with problems and someone that wants to swap a T5 in it's place.
Honestly, that is a good tranny, what's wrong with it?
A bench rebuild on the T18 shouldn't too much (200?) and certainly less than buying a T5/300 combo.

J

jefe4by4

Yeah, I agree with panther. I would keep the T18. Yours must have had some serious abuse or no oil for it to go south. They almost never have problems and will work for years with 1/2 the teeth on low gear, bad bearings and no synchros.
Your cheapest route would be an overhaul. Or, get another used one. Are you using the D20 with the T18 now, or is it the D300? What adapter do you have? if it's the 'spud shaft' model, then find another used trans and bolt it up. I just sold a fine wide ratio Jeep T18 for $150, which included the t.case and adapters and the rest of what was left of the J4000. If you don't need the 6.32 low gear, get the 4.03 low gear T18, which is not as prized, cheaper and more available for the Jeep. Ford transmissions (NP435, T18, T19) will also bolt up the the stock T4/T5/T176 BH.
regards, as always, jefe

L

lineforeman99

Thanks for all the replies. I have priced the parts to rebuild my T-18. I am looking at about 500 bucks. The dana 20 transfer is still good. I may sell it, I am not sure yet. I really want a 5 speed for the over drive. The oil level was ok. The person I bought it from was had allready installed in my scrambler. I have no idea how he treated it. Anyway I am going to spend my son's milk money for the next ten years to buy a T-5 and Dana 300. He needs to drink more water anyway. Thanks again. Butch