• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

AGR Steering Box

S

suches

I recently replaced my stock steering box and still don't like the result--just too many turns lock to lock. I've been reading about the AGR Super Box 2 (for "daily driver"). Any thoughts on the AGR, or otherwise sharpening the steering response?

Thanks!

'81/Wide-Tracs/360/Emu/etc.

M

mulescj8

I run one one my 84 now it was some improvement,but not real big-the big improvement that i saw was in turning the "big" rubber,but i need even more now so i'm going to add a Hydro assist-JC:p

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536691.503966.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536691.503966.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 591
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536712.007399.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536712.007399.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 422
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536727.668021.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382536727.668021.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 652
  • DSCN2395.JPG
    DSCN2395.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN2503.JPG
    DSCN2503.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0803.JPG
    DSCN0803.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN3277.JPG
    DSCN3277.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • rps20131203_133458_914.jpg
    rps20131203_133458_914.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF0108-vi.jpg
    DSCF0108-vi.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1
T

twilhelm

I replaced mine with one from a mid 80's camaro.

Had to change the u-joint on the bottom of the steering shaft, and that was about it.

My steering upgrade

Tony W

Attachments

• Wood Side Rail Mounting Holes 1.jpg
    Wood Side Rail Mounting Holes 1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 803
  • Wood Side Rail Mounting Holes 2.jpg
    Wood Side Rail Mounting Holes 2.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 790

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have the AGR Superbox 2, I really like the improvement. At the same time I put in a Borgenson shaft, that helps almost as much as putting in the new steering box. Those 20 yr old+ shafts have a little wear on them too.

pab77

81 CJ-8
Borgeson steering shaft

I replaced the stock shaft with the borgeson based on a couple suggestions from you guys on this site. Iwas going to replace the steering box because I thought that was where the looseness onthe highway and the wander that the old Cjs have was being caused by. The shaft alone attached to the stock box was the best couple hundred Ive spent on my scrambler. Tracks right down the road looseness is almost gone. PaulBorgeson steering shaft

Jeepist

n., one who prefers Jeeps
I just put the SuperBox2 on mine and it still has too many turns lock to lock for my tastes. But it is better than stock. I can now make u-turns in one shot! :D

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
I'm not sure what you guys are paying for the SuperBox2 but when I did my 4.0L swap I had major power steering problems, so I went with an AGR PS pump, after swapping it (truly) 3 times I went back to a stock one and a mid size trannie cooler, wala. Both for much less than the cost of the AGR.

Also right after that my gear box kicked the bucket sooooo I got a rebuild from NAPA for $168 ( if I remember correctly) and it is night and day over the worn out original one.

I do agree on the major number of turns it takes. When you make a sharp left turn in town and accelerate (I drive mine like a go-cart) it is down right scary whipping that wheel back strait.....lol.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
i'd recommend everyone add a transmisson cooler to your power steering-it splices in to the return side of the pump-if you trail ride at all you'll notice a BIG differance-JC:p

wiltech

Basic User
City
Lafayette
State
IN
mulescj8 said:
i'd recommend everyone add a transmisson cooler to your power steering-it splices in to the return side of the pump-if you trail ride at all you'll notice a BIG differance-JC:p

JC

Would the one in the radiator be adequate ? Or would an external one be better ?

Tony

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Tony

Hey you got registered, good deal.

I went with a external CarQuest mid size (they have large, medium, and small). The small one may have been enough but I figured why not just fix the problem. It was inexpensive and very easy to install.

It took me a about an hour start to finish. Mount it to the front side of you radiator infront of the pump itself. Then if you have by cahnce added a K&N you can run the hosees through the old air duct and WA-LA your right where you need to be with your hoses. JC is right:eek:, I only wish I had thought of it while I was replacing pump after pump.

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
Tony

Hey you got registered, good deal.

I went with an external CarQuest mid size (they have large, medium, and small). The small one may have been enough but I figured why not just fix the problem. It was inexpensive and very easy to install.

It took me a about an hour start to finish. Mount it to the front side of you radiator infront of the pump itself. Then if you have by cahnce added a K&N you can run the hosees through the old air duct and WA-LA your right where you need to be with your hoses. JC is right:eek:, I only wish I had thought of it while I was replacing pump after pump.

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
if your going to mount it and use as a power steering cooler-DON'T use the one in the radiator,it will put excess heat in the power steering fluid,most motors run at 195'f or more thats just too much extra heat being put back into the powersteering system-you want to lose as much heat as posssible-JC:p