• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Matkins aluminum tubs

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
I saw the thread for the JP tub and it inspired me to offer up my findings w/ Matkins tubs as I really owe it to Phil from Matkins to give them some good PR as they were very good to me.

I'd offer that generally I'd offer to anyone thinking aluminum that I like my Matkins aluminum tub and Love my Matkins frame.

Cons:
1) It took WAY WAY more effort to make the sides "pretty" for paint than I wanted due to the welding and grinding done.
2) The one door opening was skewed (I got the 1st 8 body they ever made so shame on me) but they did their best to make it right with me and were really generous and reasonable about it.
3)Slow delivery but I expected that going in

Pros:
1) Very meaty sides 3/16" !!
2) Ribs on the floor in the back
3) The contours of the floor up front look like a steel Jeep as opposed to a nascar body
4) It looks like a fiberglass or steel body from the outside (and the inside w/ my rhino lining).
5) No more rust!
6)Lots of holes already in place for accessories to bolt on....the firewall was ready, hinges, tailgate.
7)Stainless nuts welded into the body for body mounts and stainless inserts for the fenders.
8) Shipping costs were very reasonable.

Weight....I'll list this seperate because I really didn't want a lightweight Jeep but w/ my full hard top + hard doors, full 20 gallon tank of gas + rhino lining and 33" tires + monster tire carrier, and their level two frame I'm weighing in at 4050 pounds.

I'd buy again but would ask them to be more careful when grinding the welds where they have to.

Rudy

Last edited:

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Rudy,

I would like to see a picture of the inside (bed & floor pan/tranny) Do you have any without seats and stuff.

Truck

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
Hey Truck,

I'm sure you'd like a better photo than this but my camera was new to me and I've never been the picture taking kind :). I made special effort to get a few but it was mostly about geting the job done. I can snap one w/ my seats in it if you'd like tomorrow.

Rudy

Last edited:

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Ribs on the floor in the back ... The contours of the floor up front look like a steel Jeep as opposed to a nascar body

I was just curious how 'stock' this looked. I certainly can't afford this right now. But I do like the stock look. I couldn't tell the ribs in the bed though.

I checked Matkins site and they have very poor pictures and all their prices say "call".

Thanks,

Truck

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
You are right about the ribs...they are broader and less of them than stock but they look nice and add strength to the floor. I didn't like the way the flat sheet floor looked in other aftermarket tubs. Also, I had the Rhino guy spray it thick to keep the noise down and conceal the tig welds....that was a good decision I think.

I have a price list that's two years old. They wanted $2485 for my tub and $1995 for the frame (that comes w/ a lifetime no questions asked warranty)...then they gave me a discount for buying both at the same time and then a lot of other genrosity thereafter. I don't have the ability to make what they did or even comprehend the amount of work but for about $4k I feel I've got a really solid foundation . I really can't imgine that they are getting enough money for the effort required to build one of these when you compare it to a cobra kit car etc.

I bought my last reasonably solid Scrambler from Bill Mock in Oklahoma and by the time I was done fixing the dents, light rust and wear, I had more money in it and of course it was original (but I worried about rust)....I do drive my stuff in the salt.

Rudy

tinymay

Scrambler Junkie
City
Dickson
State
TN
Sweet Ride!!

Hey Rudy... That Matkins tub REALLY does look nice. I really like the pre-drilled mounting holes for the body parts. That is something the JPO boys could take a lesson on. Good luck with your project and hope to see you at the 2nd Scramble event in Hot Springs!! :D

racinrudy

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Findlay
State
Oh
Thank you very much. The project is done...well as done as a Jeep ever is :)

It would be cool to make it to the event but I expect all my vacation is spent up. Boooo

I am sure the Matkins guys could learn to keep delivery dates from the JP guys!...and probably some mass production tips...I really think they laid this out as they went. Now I'll see how everything holds up to the Ohio road salt!

Rudy