• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

OT: 258/999 in a 77 CJ-5?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Anyone know if the 258/TF999 combo will bolt in (and fit) in a CJ-5?

Someone local might have exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for for the wife (rolling chassis with 44 in rear, 2.5" lift, nice shackles, good frame/body) but I need to know what will fit in there.

Anyone seen/done this? I'd really like to know that it bolts into the stock mounts as I don't have a welder and I don't really want to get into that level of project with this.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
I'm not sure, but keep in mind that if it has a Dana 44 rear, it's most likely a '72-'75 model, which was pre-AMC. Just somehting to think about for parts compatibility stuff.

Craig

City
Houston
State
TX
Well, that's a long nose cj5. I know jeep put the 258s in them, not sure on the 999. The engine will bolt in. Anybody know if the 999 was used in the 80-83s? I know they put the t4/t5 in those, is the 999 longer than the t4/t5? I'm gonna guess that you'd need to find a skid plate from a 80-86 CJ for the tranny mount and to fit the d300, if it won't bolt up, you can just drill new holes in the skid plate to match the frame holes.

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
258/999

258 was factory in a cj5 so no problems there. The 999 is a lot long for a 81 inch wheel base. You have to use the dana 300 to as the dana 20 bolts up different and there is no room for an adapter . Ill look in my AA swap guide in a minute.

The torque flight is a little over 16" long according to my AA swap guide. Most cj5 trannies look around 10inch long. The dana 300 is a bit longer than the dana 20. I think the drive train will go in with no problem but I fear the rear drive shaft may end up as to yokes bolted back to back.

Last edited:

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Ah heck just get it and put a 304 in it for her! Short little thing you can move it forward a few inches ;)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Looks like I need to find a 7... oh well, I'll feel better that it's a little bigger anyhow.

Thanks guys.

edit: of course I just got ANOTHER email with a cool offer on a -5... grrrrr :mad:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
BTW, it's a 77, so the D44 must be swapped in (the guy selling it is a part hound, so that's not the least bit surprising).

Oh well...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
'71/'72 was the transition year from Kaiser to AMC. '72's were the first AMC built year. No CJ-5 was factory with an automatic tranny. BUT, you can put an auto tranny in a 5, I've seen it done it many times and you will end up with a very short rear drive shaft. If it's used as a trail vehicle (unlikely since it's for your wife, I think), you'd probably be fine. You would just want to be sure there's not too much suspension flex in the rear.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
John, I don't suppose you could put me in touch with any of the folks that have done this, could you?

Kate would like to be able to go on runs like we did at Oak Ridge, but we're not talking about real trail riding here...

Maybe I'll follow through on these two deals enough to see how interesting the pricing gets. I guess I could just do this now and then look for a -7 or *gasp* -8 to swap the drivetrain over to later if she really gets into the trails...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Kenny Smith in the Tidewater Club has one in his 5. He was a guide up at Oak Ridge, it's a black CJ-5 with an AMC (360) V-8.
See if you can reach him through his club site http://www.tidewaterfourwheelers.org/.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The deal: 80 CJ-5, blown 304 (scrapped), 727 (included in deal but not from the -5), D300, D30 w/lockrite/4.56, AMC20/welded/4.56, soft top, soft doors, no body or frame rot, rearched springs, lift shackles, 33" Mickey Thompsons on aluminum Centerline rims:
$900 and he will take 258 crank and rods as partial trade (thank you Jerry!!) :D :D :D

I figure I'll pull out the lockrite and sell it, replacing with spiders from my postal d30. Might do the same in the rear if removing the welded spiders is possible. I'd sell the 727 too. I might try to trade the axles outright for more suitable ones... maybe my postal's stock widetracs?? Hmmmm... 2.73s were pretty tough with 33s, but this engine's got gobs more power than it had back when I had the 2.73s in there.... hmmmm.

Jeep is disassembled, so the drivetrain install would be mucho simpler and would allow me to work on the spots on the frame that need it and I could paint the body silver like Kate wants off the frame...

This one would be more work than I was thinking, but what else am I going to do this winter... oh yeah, a 4.0 swap on the postal. :D

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Good body, good frame under a K do I need to come down there and smack you one lol.

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
CJ7

Heres ther deal, I have a good friend Matt. Matt just spent the better part of three years deployed AFTER he was to be discharged from army reserves(he was put on stop loss after 9/11 and was deployed ever since. Consequentlly his life is a shambles. He has two jeeps a cj5 and a cj7. I know that the cj7 is for sale cheap. The cj5 is ver ifffffy depending on his mood.

The 1979 cj7's condition is as follows:

304 complete minum headers...needs a battery and exhaust to start.

3 speed T150 or T15 with new clutch

dana 20 TC

some minor frame rust, not bad but I would take care of it right behind the rear crossmember

Body is rusty but patchable. Needs a windshield frame and a driverside windsheild hinge due to rust. Top is there but it is shot. seats are also usable but shot. Guages work. lights work, brakes are brand new.

Jeep passed inspection when parked 4 years ago. Headers were removed to make the cj5 work 3 years ago. jeep has not been started since. Large because Matt was in far away sunny sandy places. Make no mistake this would be a project but with some help I could probablly get it running in a weekend provided noting has happened to the engine after such a long sleep. (I have the tools and did alot of the wrenching anyway, Matts jeeps are proof I am a bad influence in some opinions) If this CJ7 is and impossible mission you choose to accept let me know and I'll find out when its good to look at and more particullars as to cost.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Jimbob said:
Good body, good frame under a K do I need to come down there and smack you one lol.

Not asking for approval, just wanted to gloat a little :D been doing that a bit lately... sorry :D

This is another one I ought to do regardless of the decision on the tranny and whether to make it up for Kate or not. I can't wait to get the pictures and possibly go see it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Re: CJ7

I appreciate it, but this would have to basically be free before I'd get into something like this. At least with this -5, the body and frame are good, it just needs reassembly.

I don't want to get into patching the body and what not, especially since I don't have a welder...

I really think it would make a great Jeep for someone to build on based on what you listed though.

Jeremy said:
Heres ther deal,...

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Pics of CJ-5 #1

cj5%20003.jpg

cj5%20004.jpg

cj5%20005.jpg

cj5%20010.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Pics of CJ-5 #2

This one comes with two hoods, two sets of fenders, two grilles, a "supposedly running" 258, two hard tops, two dashes, an extra set of widetracs, spare engines for parts, front and rear seats and other assorted spare parts.

This one can be had in trade for the "lift kit" that's on the XJ I'm buying! :D

(this one is before the frame was sandblasted and primered. These tires were also chucked in favor of the 33s in the next picture)
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_CJ5/Project_CJ5/Frame_1.jpg

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_CJ5/Project_CJ5/Tub3.jpg

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
looks like a deal Bro..you are having MarineOpLaw envy aren't you..:D. When your wife gave you the green light for another jeep for her did she know what she was really saying..:rolleyes:

Keep the spirit alive..

Truck