• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Factory Chrome Wheels

A

Alamo CJ8

Again...Sorry for the repeat questions. I lost all of my hard copies of the answers. I need to get the clear coat off of my factory chrome wheels. I got a lot of good suggestions last time and now I need to act. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

B

Beach Scrambler

From the Archives

I have a set of factory chrome wheels that are in pretty rough shape. They seem to have some type of clear coat on them that is beginning to come off. When I talked to a local body shop about this they told me nobody ever coated chrome wheels and it must be the chrome coming off. The chrome is not coming off. Did Jeep cover the factory wheels with any type of clear coat? I know this Jeep has never been to a body shop and the previous owner did not apply any type of coating to the wheels. My second question is how do I get it off without ruining the wheels? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

B

Beach Scrambler

Here are the responses.

Sorry for not listing the credit to who original posted each response.
---
There is a clear coat over the wheels. If you use some type of paint or varnish remover, it will all come off and be uniform once again. They will probably be subject to rusting easier, but they still look nice. I would unmount the tires while you do this. Good luck
---
Yes, they did clear coat these wheels and YES it will come off. I used airplane stripper. I got it at Wal-Mart. They have both kinds. In a spray can or pourable. I used the spray. Left it on for about 5 minutes and wiped it off. I had to do some spots 2 or 3 times but it all came off. I would have them re-cleared to prevent rusting. I polished mine up and they look good as new.

Scramblin_Man
---
Thanks for the help. I will go to Walmart tonight and start stripping. Any suggestions as to what type of clear coat I should use, or will whatever the body shop uses be good enough.
---
Be carefull. If you go to Walmart and start stripping you might get arrested!
---
I tried alot of diff. strippers (not the club type) and found Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.) to work! Take the Wheels off the jeep, you do not have to un-mount the tires.
Put a small amount of this stuff in a can and use a 3/4" - 1" paint brush and brush it on a 6" - 10" area at a time as it starts to cut thur the plastic use paper towels to rub and remove the heavy residual as you go. As you get proficient with the brush hold the tire upright so you can roll back and forth and pore this stuff directley onto the wheel (small amount) spread it around with the brush, as it loosens wipe it with the paper towels.(This will still leave some residual as you go, do not fight smeared loosened plastic, I will get to this in minute) Do both sides of the wheel in this manner. When you have both sides done use steel wool (wheel will be dry of any MEK) to finish it up and the wheels will look brand new. Well take at least 2 quarts of this stuff.
Might wear a resperated it you have one.

Good Luck.

A

Alamo CJ8

Thanks

I can not thank you enough for the help. This was exactly what I was looking for! Now I have to get this all done before the Jeep gets home. Only 8 weeks to go. I'll see ya then.

Tom

L

LumpyPaint

Recoat your Chrome after Stripping. . .

I have not performed the following opperation, nor am I affliated with POR-15.

When I bought some POR-15 to seal up some rust, they sent a catalog with all of thier restorative products. They have quite a bit more stuff than you would think. This list includes an epoxy based clear coat intended for chrome wheels after they have been stripped and polished. Forget the specific name of this product, but I am sure it is on thier web page. Additionally, they offer several colors of heat resistant engine and manifold / header paints. Looks like good stuff, but it aint cheap.

www.por15.com/

Regards,

Justin Cardones