• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Now in Progress- Gaucho (Scrambler's Daddy)

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
Yuppers, "coming sooner"

Just the tub so far (Thanks Craig, both directly and indirectly), so if anyone comes across an M170 or CJ6 frame let me know. Also, I will be looking for a California StepSides minitruck bed off of a Chevy Luv, Toyota, S10, ect., so again, if'n you see one....

A little backtracking here-

I kinda have a thing for LWB jeeps, and LWB CJ especially. It started with my '81 Scrambler and has led to interest in CJ6s, M170s, the AK postal (I was in Anchorage in '85, but none available to the public back then), and the Horton ATM and ATR. (Would really love to find one of them).

Anywho, I have been kicking around the idea of a Guacho for years and thanks to a set of circumstances that were just horrible otherwise, I ended up in the position to get one of the two most difficult parts of the project for much less than I planned. Craig just delivered my CJ10 tub friday night, so I am fairly confident that finding a bed will not be too big of a deal. (The CJ10 tubs are mostly in the Atlantic SE states and the beds are mostly in the Pacific NW, so getting the pieces to start seemed daunting, to say the least.)

WTH is a Guacho?

image003.jpg

Glad you asked, and since I mostly hunt an' peck on the keyboard, I will just link you to a thread on my home board that will give you a somewhat-correct overview.
A little Cooter-Filtered Info

I'm still not sure the fenders on the Luv are exactly what the gaucho had, as it looks like they have a step in them that I will have to modify, but they seem to come from the same basic mold.

More info (And maybe some PIX;) ) as things progress...

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Looks like an interesting project. Have you considered using a late 70s or early 80s frame (not sure of the years)? Have heard of folks using them as a Scrambler frame with the only requirement changing out the body support brackets. Just a thought.

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
The original Guacho was on a CJ6 frame, so it would be the most "correct". Also the cheapest. (CJ6s were only available commercially in the US 'till '75- I was lucky enough to find an NOS '76-'80 CJ6 top a while back to use on my 'glass '6, and have never seen one before or since)

Since the body mounts aren't likely to line up to the bed either way, I would just as soon go with an intermediate ('72-'75) frame for the Saginaw steering and open channel rails.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
It's all about the Gaucho... :D

It was good to see all of your other LWB Jeeps, too. For anyone who doesn't know Cooter, he has a nice collection of '6s and '8s, along with his M-170. I must admit, I had a little case of "Jeep envy" when visiting this past weekend. :o

I'd vote for using a '-6 frame just to keep things "accurate" in regards to building a Gaucho as they were originally built.

Craig

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Why not just make your own frame from 2x4 box steel. There are several over on Pirate.

IT looks real easy. Espically compared to a 7 or 8 frame.

It is all in the same plane and by overlapping the tube you get the correct rise for the axels.

Carl

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
I can find a '6 frame for cheaper than the steel it would take to build one. (Usually $50 to $150, and the last M170 frame I got for bidding $1 on eBay)

Matkins also turned me off cut 'n paste frames years ago. :(

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Posting to get the email updates :D

I've wanted to see this project happen since you posted about wanting to do it. Great looking Jeep and I can't wait to see how you make yours!

Nice to see you have your priorities (pics) straight on the updates ;) :D

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
Not much movement yet (Did get a Scrambler hardtop from Jeepskate, and will be checking whether it will be more work to fit it to the '10 tub than to make one out of a CJ7 top), but a question while waiting for a frame and bed-
I originally was going to use a MoPar engine in it because I have waaay too many around here. However....

I started thinkin' about the original Gaucho, and the more I think about it, the more the idea of an original 304/TH400/Q-Trac appeals to me. (OK, you really can't tell a 304 from a 401, but I would't do that- Honest)

The Good

Rusty Q-Trac Jeeps are easy to find for cheap and it will be more "True to the Original", as I don't plan on any lift, or maybe 2 1/2", tops.

I won't have to worry about fitting a 440 to a 4wd TF727 to a D300. (None of which would be "correct", but would be a lot of fun in something that I would only be able to use on the street and the dunes, and maybe an occaisional two-track)

The weight would be much lighter for the aforementioned dunes and street.

The Not-As-Good

I would have to find a Rusty Q-Trac Jeep, and then part it out.

I would have to own an AMC V8 :eek:

I would have to own a GM Tranny :eek: :eek:

I would have to own a Q-Trac :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :D :eek:

So what you you think?

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Cooter said:
I started thinkin' about the original Gaucho, and the more I think about it, the more the idea of an original 304/TH400/Q-Trac appeals to me.

I would have to find a Rusty Q-Trac Jeep, and then part it out.

Hey John,

Denny had a complete Q-Trac CJ-7 that he listed on eBay recently, but it didn't sell. It has the 304, and starts/moves, but I don't know more than that. Shoot him a PM if it's something you think would help...maybe we could go in on it together, and I could part it out here. Just a thought.

BTW, I didn't realize the Gauchos had Quadratrac. Very cool.

Craig

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
I think I'd snag a q-trac'd FSJ so you get a 360. Now *that* would make one helluva fun rig that would also be nice to DD in the winter.

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
Craig- I started thinking about it after I saw his CJ7, you're getting more Cooter-Like. (Not healthy, to say the least)

Rodney- I was thinkin' that as well. (Which is why I said Jeep instead of CJ) I still would swap a 401 in in a heartbeat, though. And then I would have an extra AMC engine laying around, which I would need to find a Jeep to swap it into. I passed on a 401 for $250 about a year or so ago, now I wish I had picked it up.

BW- My thoughts exactly. :o

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
I said "Passed" :mad:

Though,

For $250, I think I would, maybe even for $50, depending on if it was on the ground or I had to climb up on a FSJ's inner fenders. (That would be more expensive)

xtrm4xjp

Basic User
City
Kenosha
State
wi
If you decide to go the QT route I have a T-400 and QT w/low range sitting in the shop here. Not sure of the condition inside as I never got to drive the Jeep. I'm sure the price would be right for you, or we could work out a trade on something maybe. I might even have a line on a few AMC V-8's. It would save you from dealing with another rusty hulk. As usual you've got my number, let me know if you want it.

Anders

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
How soon do you need the ride for it?

I have a friend down in Sebgring for the 12 hr race this weekend. He is racing in the 3 hr prelim tomorrow. Not sure if I can get a hold od him, but he might have room in the race trailer if it is ready to go.

Alternative to that, I have inlaws in Melborne. That is a ways down the intercostal, but if I have to go to get those Q78's might make a round trip. It would be a month or so before I can do it though.

Carl

Cooter

Tail Dragger
City
Chicago
State
IL
Still no bids with 2 days left- let me send a message to the seller, and I'll see what I can do for a timetable for pickup.

PS- I still haven't forgotten about you Carl. PM me you digits again, and I'll see if I can give you a call soon to catch up on stuff...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Anything to report? I'm not getting much done on mine, so I need to see what others are getting done ;)

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
columbia,

cooter, I'm in columbia, SC

its probably about 4 hours from here. I don't think I will be getting down that way anytime soon, but if someone is going up and down I95, they can probably leave it here, until I make a trip north and I could at least get it up to Indiana on a next trip.. (no definitive time yet, but certainly would probably be within 6-8 months)..

just an offer..