• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Brought my Overlander back from Oz. Now what?

Conan59er

Basic User
City
Edmond
State
Ok
Hey gang,
I recently moved back to the US after spending 3 years in Australia and i brought over the 1984 CJ8 Overlander (World Cab) that i had driven there. To be totally honest, I don't know what I want to do with her. I originally wanted to restore her, but she is in pretty good shape othervthan old original paint. The reality is setting in now, and I'm probably going to sell her. I'm not looking for offers here, but wanting to know what you guys would do in my shoes? My main decisions are whether to repaint her first (the seals and graphics would be a problem here) and whether to put it up on ebay or go with an auction like Mecum... What would you do?

Also, if anybody would like dimensions, etc of anything on it for their own purposes just let me know and i'll try to help. I still have some time, as i am going to register here in OK for ease of transfer.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Right now, originality is everything with classic cars and trucks. I would only ever consider restoring/repainting if it has bad rust issues. To be able to make an honest recomendation we would need to see pictures (which is what we really want anyway :D).

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Can't say much of anything without pictures. What lots of folks call bad paint, us CJ folks call "patina".

If there's no rust issues and it's just old with original stickers, there's no way I would paint it.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
What I would do is sell it to a guy like me.:wave: Like the others have said, I would post some pics and determine if it really does need paint. I agree, keeping that original is the best way to go if possible.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I agree to keep it original. I tried to buy this Jeep when it was advertised in Australia a few months ago...now that it is here in the states, I really hope I can. Ever since I saw it first posted on CJ-8 about 3 years ago.... I was hooked. I think instead of Ebay or Mecum, you should try us CJ-8 ers...first! :wave:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Found a picture from the other thread. There is NO WAY IN &%$* I would even think about painting this!!

11359351-1.jpg

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
That's pretty sweet. I didn't think those had the roll bar but the troop seats no?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That's pretty sweet. I didn't think those had the roll bar but the troop seats no?
I think that was the "van" version, the "wagon" got the windows and rollbar. Could be wrong though.

Major Jack

Legacy Registered User
City
Zillah
State
Wa
I must admit, I was on the fence about what color to paint our Postal. My wife and I had kinda sorta settled on a darker silver. I thought solid white would make it look like a rolling refrigerator. After seeing these pictures, silver is out the widow. White is gonna be the color. With some creative striping, it will look really nice.

DO NOT PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:drool: so freaking purty!

I must admit, I was on the fence about what color to paint our Postal. My wife and I had kinda sorta settled on a darker silver. I thought solid white would make it look like a rolling refrigerator. After seeing these pictures, silver is out the widow. White is gonna be the color. With some creative striping, it will look really nice.

:thumbsup:

DO NOT PAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

x112398718236278345676254715367152361538123712387190237172398172

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
I think that was the "van" version, the "wagon" got the windows and rollbar. Could be wrong though.

That is interesting that the Overlander has the roll bar in it. Mine has the windows in the top but no roll bar as my back seats are in the way of where the bar would mount. Maybe the back seat in the Overlander faces forward?

And FANTASTIC looking Jeep can't wait to get mine on the road!!

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
this is the standard set up of the Overlanders in Australia: roll bars and bench seat across:

DSC02669-1.jpg

GarScramb

Legacy Registered User
City
Parkersburg
State
WV
Thread translation:

Take a look at my beautiful super-rare Scrambler. I think I am going to sell it, but not right now. Ha! Gotcha! You have to wait. Go ahead and drool over it but don't drip on the seats or anything. :p

Just kidding. Love the Overlander. Thanks for bringing one to the States!

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
The Overlander is here on US soil and is about to be driven back to NJ...:woot:

Rather than start a new thread, I will hijack this one for now....and because this adventure is about to start on Friday, let folks know of my route back to NJ and stops along the way and if anyone is near my route.

As posted above, I wanted this Overlander back when it was listed for sale in Australia, and even went as far as to quote prices to ship it to NJ from half way around the world and get yelled at at work for using my company issued cell phone to call the seller! As time ran short, and there just wasnt enought time to get the deal done there I was reasurred it was at least going to come back to the US with him, but didnt know once it was back here if he would keep it or not. I now know it got here sometime in April, but I still wouldnt know if it would ever be for sale, and became nervous when this original post was made! However, true to his word, once he decided to sell it, just a few weeks ago he let me have first crack at it, and a deal was made. I flew to Oklahoma within a few days, test drove it, and now am flying back this Friday 8/19 to start the long trip home.

My travels will take me down to Dallas area to stay with relatives, to collins brothers, to a Jeep buddy south of Dallas...then I need to start heading east on Sunday eve...I have to be in Fort Benning, GA, home of the infantry,for a work trip on Tuesday Aug 23...this leaves MS, LA, and stops along the way. Then its north though the Carolinas, VA, and up the eastern seaboard, to take the ferry into Southern NJ out of MD.

Here is a picture as she sits on US soil. I have shipped in tools and parts and this is going to be quite the adventure and trust in an old 258 to carry me home. Truth is, this Jeep runs and rides better than most I have had...its ready...gonna do some preventative stuff, oil, fluids, charge the A/C at my buddys place in TX...then its go time.

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Beautiful. Congrats. And good luck with the journey. If you swing through Northern Virginia, let us know. I would love to see it. As would a bunch of guys in the local Jeep club.

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Congratulations!!! She's a beauty. How are you planning on coming through the Carolina's? I'm 5 minutes from I-40 and I have an extra room if you need a place to crash. Just let me know...

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, excellent!! Looks a darn sight better than mine did at the start of my trip, you'll be fine! WOOHOO!!!

:woot:

Pictures! Lots of pictures!! :cool:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Bobby - I looked up where you are and that just may work out! Thanks for the offer and Ill see where I am when I come to that part of the trip. Sames goes for you too, Dain. Ill post some updates along the way.

Ill take some pics as I go, and when back home, a thread with details. Talk to ya'all soon and thanks again.