• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Custom guage panels: Let's see 'em

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
I'm thinking about redoing my guages, maybe starting with one of the aftermarket dash panels without holes and going from there.

Just looking for some ideas and inspiration :)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Here's mine- a JP blank dash, VDO Millenium gauges, and alot of time...

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Here's mine- a JP blank dash, VDO Millenium gauges, and alot of time...
attachment.php

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Another...

Attachments

• jeep dash and roll cage 006.jpg
    jeep dash and roll cage 006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 397

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Another...
attachment.php

Attachments

• jeep dash and roll cage 006.jpg
    jeep dash and roll cage 006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 29

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Pretty sweet Randy!

I really like the VDO's. I forgot that JP made dash panels. I might have to look into that. I would like to have my speedo and tach above the steering wheel like most vehicles. That's one of the few things that I don't like about CJ's.

Is this possible without using a tiny speedo and tach? Anybody done/tried it? I haven't even measured for it, just brain-stormin'.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Ok, why did that post twice???

I was looking into putting the gauges above the wheel, but with the cowl lip and the steering column bracket, there's just no room. You'd have to build a box to put them in...

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Yeah, probably more trouble than it's worth.

Anybody else?

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
If I had a digital camera I'd post some of mine. I replaced all the gauges with Autometer Phantom gauges.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Here's a photo of my new dash, still being assembled on my workbench.

Basic dash plate is stainless steel, made by a guy who sells stainless dashes on ebay.

I sent him a drawing for a custom design, he made it to my specs.

Differences from standard dash:

- Spaces for five 2 1/8 gauges, will be filled with temp, oil pres., fuel, volt, clock. Note I didn't put in the stock clock hole. I did put in the stock tach hole. I've put "idiot lights" in for several of the gauges, which will be driven by an Autometer "Tri-Alert"

- DIN radio hole

- Two cigarette lighter outlets where the stock clock would be

- Above the stock light switch, I put a second hole for a wiper switch, and a rectangular dash light. This will be for a rear wiper. I'm restoring an Alaskan Postal hardtop, and I'm putting a wiper in the rear door window.

- Above the steering column I put another rectangular dash light hole, this will be for a "Check Engine" light when I install EFI. (When I did the design, I didn't realize the steering column bracket would be behind here, so I'll need to cut a hole in the bracket. Oops.)

Other than that everything is stock.

I am making custom dash lights for the "Rear Wiper" and "Check Engine" lights. You can disassemble the stock lights and remove the lettering. I'm replacing these with custom lettering done on my computer and a blue piece of filter material. These work out very cool, look totally stock but I can make the lettering/graphics be whatever I want.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That looks awesome!

Can you elaborate on the process for the custom dash lights? I have changed the operation of my heater controls and need to relabel mine.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Very nice!!
I'd be interested in the info on relabeling the gauges as well.
Randy, what's the '411' on those front cage brackets? I'd like to redo the front cage on my CJ-7 like that (mostly street driven, occassional mild wheeler) to get back my leg room and put my Mod Pods where they belong (had to mount them further back, so the sound is basically going right into the seats...all I can hear on the road is my back speakers). It's got a semi-custom dash...Nordskog digital gauges, SS gauge overlay without radio cut-out, glovebox net in place of the door.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
More info on relabeling the dash lights:

The stock label can be removed by carefully bending up two of the tabs on the chrome bezel of the light.

I made my new labels by getting a negative transparency of the attached file made at a print shop. Note the transparency I got made isn't a printout on a laser printer, it is a film transparency - laser printouts on transparency film aren't black enough.

I then cut a piece of blue semi-translucent plastic, and put the new negative label in the bezel, followed by the blue plastic behind the negative, and then reinstall the bezel, bending the tabs back over.

In the attached file, you'll see I redid all the stock labels also, because the blue plastic I found (a plastic "report cover" at Staples) isn't quite the same color as the stock labels when lit, and I wanted my custom ones and the stock ones all to be the same.

Pretty simple.

The attached file has the stock labels, the ones I added (Rear Wiper, Check Engine), and a bunch more I thought up for possible future use. Note this file is a negative of the actual lablels, when the negative transparency is made they reverse to have the lettering be clear.

Jeff

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
Thanks for all the replies guys. Keep 'em coming!

jscherb,
What is the autometer tri-alert?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Jeepskate- those are some brackets I built myself, pre plasma and bender days. I am going to redo the whole thing sometime. But...I basically copied the Rockhard design- http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/

I ran the windshield hoop into some brackets on 3/16 plate (that's as thick as I could go and still close the hard doors, behind the dash is a matching plate sandwiching the dash plate and cowl lip, and a tube going down to a floor plate. Eventually the floor plate will bolt into my rocker guards, tying the whole thing together. And, the JP dash is 3/16 thick, so if you used a stock dash the plates could be 1/4 and still fit.

2K1TJ

Still Scramblin'
City
Rockmart
State
GA
I think I'll read up on that tri-alert. I like the idea of having a light and a guage to catch your eye if something is wrong, especially in a CJ where the guages are off to the side.

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
No custom dash here... yet, but...

Here is the thread containing some neat ideas (w/ pics) over on the Off-Road .com Jeep SWB board.

Jeff (jscherb) I like your dash ideas/layout. Very stock look, yet also very practical in function. Good job! :)