• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

PSC steering

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Wanted to ask the group what their opinion was on the PSC steering or an other hydraulic cylinder assist steering. My stock setup is pretty good most of the time. With the front locked in there are times I am unable to turn. I also do get some slop in the steering from shackle flex. Probably also due to not running any swaybar.

I am just trying to decide if it would be worth the cost of the upgrade.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I have PSC assist on my 06 Rubicon, 37s, with ARB. Works great off-road. Never hade an issue.
on road steering has a pretty quick steering response. Not really an issue driving on road

Jeeper_4_Life

Scrambler Rookie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Kingman
State
Ks
I went with Redneck ram. Modified stock pump based on write ups from Redneck. Been working okay. I did attempt to replace the pump with a PSC, but after two attempts the pump to can leaked all the fluid out. Returned them both and stayed with stock modified pump. Ram works well everywhere.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Wanted to ask the group what their opinion was on the PSC steering or an other hydraulic cylinder assist steering. My stock setup is pretty good most of the time. With the front locked in there are times I am unable to turn. I also do get some slop in the steering from shackle flex. Probably also due to not running any swaybar.

I am just trying to decide if it would be worth the cost of the upgrade.
Yes PSC is solid product. A few questions to help get input from group…

What size tire are you running?
What do you mean “with front locked”? Does this mean locking the hub or do you have axle lockers? Are axle locker switched?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
@rubclt beat me to it with all of the questions I was going to ask.
I have a Redneck Ram setup and sent them my Postal's steering box to rebuild and drill/tap for it. (One of the benefits of West Texas Offroad is that they'll rebuild/drill/tap for you if you send it in.) With the age on mine and the RHD, I basically had to get it rebuilt because there weren't RHD options and the process/parts are identical RHD to LHD.

The feel with the ram is very different than without. You move the wheel and the tires WILL move, so there's a "twitchiness" to it with my 35s. I wouldn't do it with any smaller tires. My motivation was the preservation of my RHD steering box and to take all the stress off of it that I could.

One additional question regarding the locker, if you have a non-selectable locker, do you have twin sticks? I had a full detroit in front and going to twin sticks to remove the power from the front axle when turning was a HUGE help.

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
Love my PSC box. I'm running 37's on a spung over dana 44 with cross over high steer.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I am running 35s on my J10 44 with an air OX locker. Steering isn’t really an issue 4wd or not with the locker disengaged, but when engaged it can be. I have a 241C transfer case so I can’t twin stick.

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
The front wheels turn at slightly different speeds when unlocked and turn easily. When the front axle is locked the front wheels turn at same speed and turn heavy. I usually position for obstacle and turn front locker on when straight. Turn off as soon as possible.

@sdsupilot is the Oz locker cable control or switch and motor? If cable control, moving to switch Oz or changing to a switch locker may be better money than PSC upgrade.

As for PSC, good upgrade for the steering box and pump as they do work well. Running 35” tires a Ram is likely overkill. The upgrade might improve steering when locked, but could also put too much pressure on other components for a possible failure…

Here is link for a lot more details: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/LockerComparo.shtml

Sure others can add thoughts, good luck with your next move and keep us updated

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
After wheeling a CJ5 with 35-15.50 Swampers aired down to 2 psi I learned the value of a selectable locker in the Front and Rear.

Even with the ram installed it is going to be hard to turn with a Detroit when in the Rocks. with my CJ5 I left teh front unlocked most of the time so I could turn the wheels, locked it when needed then immediately back off when thru the obstacle.

I also found that with the rear locked that the Jeep would push despite have the front wheel turned in a different direction.
When using the ARB's you leave them unlocked 99% of the time and use them only to get past places where you need them locked and usually start with the Rear and if needed add the Front. This pic is with the street tires on it 15-13.50 MT's.

jeep pics 054.jpg

Randy

W.R.Buchanan

Legacy Registered User
City
Ojai
State
CA
The DeScrambler currently has 37-12.50 MTR's on it, with all the same Axles and Lockers that came out of the CJ 5. They are wearing fast on the street. Probably going with Toyo All Terrains on the next set.

IMG_2062.JPG

My whole point here is you need to get rid of the Detroit in the front so you can turn the wheels when it gets tough.

Randy

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Pulled the trigger. Ordered Wednesday afternoon, delivered Thursday. This is two kits. One for my 8 and one for a friends TJ I am swapping axles on. His TJ is going from stock Dana 30/35 to a 44/60 combo. We will see how long it takes to get them both installed.947EE6F6-7CE7-407D-B945-CFFDC97E6C2F.jpeg