• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Rear Door Struts (Full Hardtop)

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Does anybody have a p/n or vendor name for replacement struts on the rear lift door on their ACME hardtops? My top is no longer manufactured and I haven't been able to find any struts that look like they would snap/bolt in. I'd rather not have to change the mounting points, but if need be I will.

Any assistance would be appreciated, because if that thing hits me in the head 1 more time........:mad:

TIA.

Nick

mikecj8

Legacy Registered User
City
Nevada City
State
ca
I went to a RV parts store and bought a set from them. My full top did not come with any as it was used. But it works fine with the one's I found. Sorry I don't have any other information. Mike

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Thanks for the reply Mike.

So did your top have the mounting hardware (minus the struts) and you just went to a RV store and found struts that fit? Or did you buy the struts & mounting hardware as a complete package?

Nick

mikecj8

Legacy Registered User
City
Nevada City
State
ca
The brackets on the window part were there. But I had to fabricate the mounts that attached to the top. Doe's your top have holes already drilled for the brackets? I'd post a pic of mine but it is in the paint shop til probably next week. Mike

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Mine came complete with operational struts. It's just that they're 18 y/o and couldn't hold up a bag full of Helium :D . If I can't find "plug 'n play" replacements, I'll go the same route as you did and fabricate new top mounts for it.

:cool: Thanks.

Nick

Last edited:

mrachal

Basic User
City
Conroe
State
TX
Struts

I took my old ones to NAPA and they came up with a pair that fit.
Try them if they can't help you send me a PM and I will pull one off and get the information off of it. I did this for someone else a couple of months ago but i can't remember who.

Michael

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Thanks, mrachal. I'll pull 1 off and bring it to Napa to see if they have something in stock that will work. If not, I'll PM you for that info :cool:.

Nick

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Although it will be a while until my top goes back on my project, I would like to know what you end up with as well. The ones on my ACME top are gone as well. One won't hold the other is to stiff.

Truck

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
Me too pleeeze!

Yup... got same problem w/ my Grizzly full top...

PLS pass on the P/N and/or source. Many thanks! :U

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Ok Guys, here is where things stand. I took a support off and ran it to Napa. They didn't have any in stock, but gave me the book with dimensions and such to spec out the right ones. The P/N I ended up with is 819-5581 but they found only 1 at a nearby store. I had them send it over so I could at least check the fit.

I snapped it in and it fit perfectly, but when I tried to close the rear door it wouldn't budge. You guessed it, the reason there was only 1 around was because that sucker wouldn't compress.

At any rate, the 819-5581 p/n looks like a good #, but until I mount 'em (they're due in Wednesday) and close the hatch, I'm not gonna say for sure that they're the right ones. I let you guys know Wednesday night.

Nick

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
All right, I put the 819-5581's on right there in front of the store and tried shutting the hatch. Nope. The mounting brackets started bending (definitely not the right ones), Too much force. Double checked the book, 50#'s force ea. The parts guy goes in back and comes out with a newer, less faded book, 819-5581's=.................150#'s force each (ouch).

Long story short, the 50# struts are p/n 819-5565 and will be here Friday morning. Again, I won't say they're the right ones until I mount 'em Stay tuned........

Nick

mrachal

Basic User
City
Conroe
State
TX
Struts

NCAL
Sorry I have not sent a reply sooner. I took some vacation and went hunting and just returned Monday. I returned just in time to get laied off on Wednesday. Great Christmas present. The Struts that I bought at my NAPA store Have a Blue lable The number on the lable is 4418 3391 they are about 18" long fully extended and about 11.5" fully compressed. I do not know the pressure rating but 1 will not hold up the rear doorI hope this will help. These were bought about 3 years ago.

Michael

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Ouch, that sucks Michael. FWIW, 11 years ago I got laid off while on my honeymoon (from a company I had worked for for 17 years). Came home to the blinking light of my answering machine (which gave me the good news) along with a bill for $15,000 in wedding costs. 2 months later I was working for a better company at higher pay with great people that I still hang out with. It turns out that getting laid off gave me the opportunity to seek better employment, so hang in there bud. Things have a way of working out.

On the struts, if 1 of yours couldn't hold up the hatch then the ones coming in may still be too much. I called Napa, but they said the ones I ordered are already in transit, so owe it to them to at least try 'em first. Who knows, maybe I'll only need 1 (so I'll have a spare :) ). If they're still too much, I'll give 'em your p/n and then buy some spark plugs & synthetic oil from 'em (for the SS), for them being good sports and all.

Thanks again for the p/n.

Nick

NCAL

Elusive Target
City
Prescott
State
Az
Success!!!!

Ok, everybody got a pen? The correct units are Napa "Powerlift Gas Charged Lift Supports", p/n BK.819-5518. They are rated at 30lbs lift force (ea) and fit the rear hatches on ACME Full Length Tops.

Thank You everybody for your "support" :)

Nick

Luke Matthews

City
Florence
State
SC
I know this is an old thread and see that a 30 pound rating is needed but does anyone know the length distance open these need to be from point to point (center to center)?
More importantly, for me, where I can imagine what they would look like, would anyone be willing to post, text or email me photos of your brackets mounted on both the hardtop and glass areas so if I have to make them, I can see what angle, which way turned, etc.?
Luke.matthews@fsd1.org
843-496-9211
Mine is a full top Acme.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
It's not an old thread, it's dinosaur old.🦖🦕😁
Goggle the part # from the post #14 and you will find pictures.