• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 Alaska Postal Build

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Recently bought a postal in North Pole Alaska and had it shipped to my address in the Seattle area. My wife and I recently welcomed our first child and I'm now debating whether to sell it or keep it as my time is now more limited than before. I've posted it locallyon CL to see if I get an offer I can't refuse but would prefer to keep it. It needs a lot of work and is missing the Dana 300 and both drive shafts along with many smaller parts. My question is: Do the standard scramblers drive train parts innerchange? I have a line on a rusted out Scrambler and feel it would be easier to purchase and use it as a parts rig for my postal. Any help or input is greatly appreciated. I'll add pics once I figure out how to do so.

-Stoney

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
nice find ... we need some pictures when you have time... parts do interchange but drive shafts are different depending on transmission you have in that parts jeep.. im sure someone here as the right driveshaft for you if yours dont work out...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Hey Stoney,
Most CJ 76+ parts will be interchangeable with your postal - don't get down about it! A Dana 300 is a Dana 300 for the most part, though you may have to spend a little more work on the drive shafts. The measurements need to be pretty specific. No worries on that, though, there are at least two good companies making drive shafts to order - Tom Woods and Tatton. I actually have a few drive shafts laying around of various sizes I'm trying to sell, even.

Sell it or keep it, that's up to you. I guess you have to come up with a plan for what you want from it. If it's not giving you back what you want, then it's time to sell.

Good luck and welcome to the forum, we can't wait to see pictures!

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Thanks guys for the input, I'm trying not to let the fact that it's rare and only has 41K original miles cloud my judgement but truly want to restore it or at least get it on the road. I'm leaning towards buying the parts Scrambler and changing parts when time permits. I do know it has a Dana 300 in it.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Welcome! BW is definitely the expert on postals, but I have one or two (maybe 1.5 technically?) laying around my garage waiting for time. I also have access to the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry, which has one more-or-less preserved as it was when operated by the USPS.

You'll find that the majority of all parts interchange with normal CJ-8s, which also then interchange with CJ-7s and late-model CJ-5s. There are only a few oddball things that are specific to all right-hand-drive CJs (still can be difficult to find, such as the shifter assembly, e-brake handle, steering gear box and steering linkage, reversed dash and heater/air boxes). The top and barn door are specific to the CJ-8 World Cab. The front doors can be sourced from other World Cabs such as the USAF CJ-10a tugs.

I've seen them in worse shape if it makes you feel better. Yours has probably the most dents in the back though!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Thanks guys for the input, I'm trying not to let the fact that it's rare and only has 41K original miles cloud my judgement but truly want to restore it or at least get it on the road. I'm leaning towards buying the parts Scrambler and changing parts when time permits. I do know it has a Dana 300 in it.

Keep it. Your kid(s) can help you with it when they get older.

As far as hard parts, shouldn't be hard to find. Dana 300's are easy to find, and the driveshafts shouldn't be hard to find used, or you can get some made.

regular guy

Basic User
City
Cameron
State
NC
For Drivelines, if you want to go local, Northwest Drivelines is in Fife. I had them build me a couple for a 42 willys MB years ago. They are down the road from Sportco.

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Thanks all for the input, I'm leaning towards keeping it which I'll keep quiet from the wife for now. There ate some nasty dents on the rear top but may try a heat gun trick to reform.

Thanks reg guy on the Northwest Driveline tip, they're about 10 miles from me.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Wouldn't the drivshaft lengths be the same? I would think the frame and running gear would be in the same places.......

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
I've been thinking about this and I might have a solution for you. I think you should buy my postal!

Here's how my thinking is going:
1.) I'm having to cut down significantly on my own projects. Short story is that its highly unlikely now I will have the time/location/resources to really do the postal right. I really should let it go as I'm just keeping a postal away from the community in my current situation.
2.) My postal is in better condition body wise.
3.) The engine starts right up and runs.
4.) You would have all the right hand parts you need. This would save you much time/energy.
5.) Postal's should go to the Jeep passionate. Period.
6.) I'm close to you (Kirkland). I would be an easy move without investment.
7.) Money wise, I think you would be money ahead compared to trying to buy parts.
8.) What was left over from your build would STILL have value to somebody looking to restore a postal and maybe wanting to start from a more "ground up" starting point.

Anyhow, I was thinking about your dilemma and wondering whether the solution to both our needs is right under our noses.

If you think so...ping me on email.

ghost
the first symbol
ghostwave
the period
net

I would keep the top for my main scrambler, but you already have a top (though it requires some body work). At least this way, you have a runnable scrambler in pretty short order.

Dollars wise, I think we could come to an arrangement that would suit us both. I'm not looking to get rich off a fellow postal nut.

Who knows, worth floating the idea at a least.

Brett

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Decision made! I'm buying another running postal in a few weeks with no top and am going to tranfer my top to it. I hope to restore it back to somewhat original. This is a huge step for me in getting on the road ASAP as I can't stand just seeing the postal sitting in my garage! I WANT TO DRIVE IT!!!!!

I want to find where I can get the old red and blue postal stripes but may have them painted on (not sure thats a good idea). Unsure if it would be legal for me to add all the postal emblems or not but I'll look into that a ways down the road. As for the current postal I own, I plan to pull the 4.2 (and keep it) and drop in a 400 sbc that way if I ever want to go back original I have the option. You guys are awesome and thank you for the advice. I will post pics as time permits (depends on the baby boy!).

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Also, are 31's the biggest tires I can run at stock form? I think we had 32's on my old '82 Scrambler but remember them rubbing a bit.

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
I've got a TH350 that was running fine before I replaced it with a 700R4. You want it?

Oh....and your getting a free window frame too. Captn Jack gave it to me for the postal, so it should really go with (thank Jack on that one, he is a class act).

Ghostwave

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Kirkland
State
Wa
Pardon me, that was Major Jack, not Captain. I don't want to be responsible for any kind of demotion of lack of respect. My bad!

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
Well guys, it's been 4 years in the making and she's almost done. Just few small items to finish.

Attachments

• 20180710_153054.jpg
    20180710_153054.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 30

StoneyWelborn

Alaskan Postal Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Puyallup
State
WA
More to come