10 Best Engines of 2014

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
For 20 years, Ward’s Auto has been assessing which engines rule the roost at the start of each new year. Here are Ward's ten best for 2014, and I happily see some diesel engines are mentioned. The list is isolated to vehicles with a base price under $60K.

1. Audi S4/S5: 3.0L Supercharged V6 gasser; 333hp/325torque; 17/26mpg

2. BMW 535d: 3.0L Turbocharged I6 diesel; 413lbs Torque@1500rpms; 35mpg highway (estimated)

3. Ram 1500: 3.0L Turbocharged V6 diesel; 240hp/420tq; 19/26/21(4x4), 18/28/22(4x2) -Ward's test averaged 24mpg combined [disclaimer: all estimated fuel economy, as not yet EPA tested] *also available in Jeep Grand Cherokee

4. Fiat 500e: 83kW electric (okay, it's a motor and not an engine)

5. Ford Fiesta: 1.0L Ecoboost I3 gasser; 120hp; 45mpg highway (what the...!) International engine of the year award winner

6. Chevy Cruze: 2.0L Turbocharged I4 diesel; 151hp/264tq; 46mpg highway (Ward's test averaged 37mpg combined)

7-10. See link to article: http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/diesels-turbos-dominate-2014-ward-s-10-best-engines

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Speaking of the new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (also available in the Jeep Grand Cherokee), I read a raving review from Motor Trend; it is MTs Truck of the Year...again. The link follows, but here are a few excerpts.

The Ram EcoDiesel, which had not received an official EPA rating at the time of this writing, returned impressive numbers: from 19/26/21 mpg city/highway/combined for a Laramie Longhorn 4x4 with a 3.92 rear axle to 18/28/22 for a Lone Star 4x2 with a 3.55. Signficant stats for a 1/2-ton truck. To put that into perspective, the GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2-liter gasoline-powered V-8 managed 15/20/17. What about GM's smaller 5.3-liter V-8? I will do one better: How about the 4.3 Ecotec V-6? It scored 15/21/17.
The Real MPG testing confirmed our findings, with the Ram towering over its 1/2-ton competition by at least 8 mpg city, 7 hwy.
Our judges rated the EcoDiesel the highest in ease of towing as well. Harwood wrote, "Doesn't feel like it's struggling at all. Once it gets up to speed, it chugs along, smooth, fairly quiet, and with little effort. Operates at low rpm, and it's easy to forget you're towing." Kiino followed up: "Awesome torque down low. Superb eight-speed automatic — it just surfs the torque wave." That's the brilliance of this truck: It never feels like it's trying. The gas-powered trucks spend more time hunting for gears and revving at engine speeds the diesel will never see. Both the shifting and NVH from high-rpm operation add to driver fatigue during long trips — especially when towing or hauling. The engine noise and vibration in the EcoDiesel are isolated, reduced to a mechanical hum at cruising. This, combined with the other amenities, means the miles just melt by.
We also like the base EcoDiesel trim level (regular-cab Tradesman 4x2), which offers cloth seats, a base MSRP of $30,465, and max towing of 9200 pounds with a 3.92 rear axle. Other vehicles in the segment offer max towing above 10,000 pounds, but really, if you're dragging more than four tons on a regular basis, you should probably step up to a heavy-duty.
The Ram 1500 makes history as the first back-to-back Truck of the Year winner because it offers all the things truck buyers want in a rig: choice, value, great design, and more than enough power and torque. And with the EcoDiesel, you can add efficiency and guts to that list. Ram has made a game-changing decision by bringing diesel to the full-size market.
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/ram-1500-is-motor-trend-truck-of-the-year?page=0