14 bolt. Move the gas tank?

Sfisher

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
I'm interested in doing a 14 bolt swap and wondering of the guys who have done this what they did with their gas tank. Did you have to move it back and if so how far.

Any input would be great. Thanks.

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Although mine is still in the build phase, I have the 14 bolt under 1.5" SOA lift springs. The tank is nowhere near the axle.

I have a 15-gallon tank. I know the 20 gallon hangs much lower. I don't know which tank you have, but thought I'd throw that out there in case that is causing issues for you. There are probably some other people on here with a 14 bolt and 20 gallon tank, if that's your issue.

-Mike

Sfisher

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
Yeah you know I forgot to add that. I have the 20 gallon tank. It looks like it might be tight not from the amount it hangs down but by how far forward it is to the axle. The Model 20 I'm swapping out has only about 2 inches between the cover and the skid plate for the tank. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to move it back a couple of inches I bet.

City
Aurora
State
IL
It will be tight but the 14 should fit without hitting the tank.
I had an oversized 20 gal. tank in the stock location with my 14 for years. No problems.

Pepper

Basic User
City
Waterloo
State
IL
I have the stock 15 gallon tank and never had any problems.

Putting the traction bar in to reduce axle wrap definitely helped keep it off the tank, too. I got the heavy duty one from Sam's Offroad.