1975 CJ-8 Prototype

Cj8er

nutzfor8s
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jefferson
State
GA
Have a friend in El Paso who is going to look at a 1975 Jeep CJ-8. Now after the daze wore off he read me the title information. It does say 1975 Jeep CJ-8. He's going to look at the jeep this weekend, give me VIN# info, measurements, view the frame, etc. I've have 2 Scramblers, a '81 and '85 so I'm familiar with them somewhat but to have found a true Prototype could be a real 'find'. I'll keep you posted if any interest.

Cj8er

nutzfor8s
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jefferson
State
GA
I'll find out more in a couple of weeks. We're meeting in New Orleans on another business matter. He's promised to bring pix and a copy of his title.
Drew

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
I remember the Gaucho, now. Thanks for the time warp. That was shown in about 75 or so. PV4 did an article on it. [still kicking self for throwing my stack of them away 2 weeks ago] :mad:

Cj8er

nutzfor8s
CJ-8.com Member
City
Jefferson
State
GA
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
Any update on this, Cj8er?
Well we met in New Orleans and the showed me the title first and it did say CJ-8 Prototype, 1975. But when he showed me the pix it was obviously a CJ-6. At first when I told him he seemed dissapointed as he really wanted a Scrambler, but I talked to him this past weekend and he's bought it. $2,500. and it runs well, shifts well, no smoke and say's quite a bit of pep. About 79,000 original miles and very little rust. He and his nephew are pretty excited now and they tell me they're gonna restore it completely. I was happy about seeing a jeep pulled out of the weeds and get restored. He'll do a good job. He's promised some to send me some pix I can post, but don't have em yet. I 've never seen a CJ-6 in this good a condition without having been worked on. I've sent him the links to this and other boards too. If he sends them I'll post up.
Drew

City
Whiteland
State
IN
Gauchos?

Were these ever sold to the public? I have never seen any mention of these with regards to mass production. Is there any website with more information? It has just peaked my curiousity and I would like to learn more.

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
questknight said:
Were these ever sold to the public? I have never seen any mention of these with regards to mass production. Is there any website with more information? It has just peaked my curiousity and I would like to learn more.
questnight,

Check out Cooter's Gaucho project thread for more info. trust really hooked us up by sending us copies of some late '70s magazines articles about the Gaucho. The Gauchos were built and sold by Brian Chachua (sp?) Jeep in California. Conversion price for a CJ-7 was between $1800-2000. Brian was also instrumental in the design of the production Scrambler.

Cooter's the resident Gaucho expert, and can probably give you more detailed info.

Craig