• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1981 CJ8 Project “Penny”

Seat ready before and after… the original fabric seemed higher quality but had cracked and had darker pipe. Overall, much more useable and ready for another 30 yearsView attachment 95545View attachment 95546
Just for everyone's knowledge... the nutmeg material that they are using now isn't as "denim-ey" as the original. They have a black set of covers that are closer to the original, but still not quite original. All in all it is great that there are options now.

cb
 
Hoping second attempt at fixing clutch would work… stiff stiff and not disengaging. Going back in for third try and installing new, lighter clutch.
View attachment 109410
I see that is an old school 3 finger pressure plate. All the pressure plates I use/have removed have always been the diaphragm style with lots of fingers. The 3 finger style are much stiffer then the diaphragm style pressure plates.
 
I see that is an old school 3 finger pressure plate. All the pressure plates I use/have removed have always been the diaphragm style with lots of fingers. The 3 finger style are much stiffer than the diaphragm style pressure plates.
Some big springs…. I leaning that this is issue. I will snap a picture of the two clutches when swapping. Thanks @spankrjs
 
Last edited:
Windy, cloudy and pending rain allows for more shop time with Penny. My buffer pad was about gone, used it up on the floor… I pulled driver seat and reinstalled. Thread chase all the seat and seat belt holes. Removed PO brake controller and non factor wires. Will add passenger seat once clutch project is finished
IMG_3590.jpeg

After photo
IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg
 
Swapped Carter for New Webber. Started right up… one step closer… I did have a patina Webber Air Cleaner to use instead of new chrome one…
IMG_3602.jpegIMG_3601.jpegIMG_3603.jpegIMG_3610.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Removed hardtop to replace windshield gasket and fix rivets. PO used clear silicon that I scrape off before riveting
IMG_3615.jpegIMG_3617.jpegIMG_3618.jpeg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: SKT
Similar story with bottom on windshield and rust. Removed all the loose rust and POR on top. New gasket has three screws holding it in place.
IMG_3613.jpegIMG_3616.jpegIMG_3619.jpegIMG_3622.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Penny went to gas station for some fresh fuel and fill up some gas cans. Had two different guys walk up asking questions and stating they always wanted a Scrambler… I said you can buy this one jokingly and one said out of his budget and the other took pictures… I guess for right price it is all for sale.
IMG_3647.jpeg
 
Replaced leaking master cylinder and bleed lines. Stops well…
IMG_4232.jpegIMG_4233.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: SKT
Back
Top