1981 wiring question

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Somewhere upstream in the ownership chain of my 81 there was someone who really thought they were a better electrical engineer than the manufacturer.

My harness is littered with male/female spade connectors from front to back. I've removed all sorts of unnecessary wiring so far. I had a stand alone horn button with a dual aftermarket horn setup. Nothing special, but it was there and working. Inline fuse off solenoid for juice to the stand alone switch and back to the horns. My factory horn button and relay work fine, so I wired it back to the steering wheel button.

My concern is where my horn power comes from. There is no horn fuse. No fuses kill the power to it either. My best guess is it runs off the main headlight power circuit and is safety controlled with the fusible link. Yes/no?

Where is this fusible link? My guess is right off the solenoid, but again, my jeep has a much smaller wire there with a spade connector.

Positive information or even a picture would be fantastic help.

Chris

City
Halifax
State
UK
You are correct it is off a fusible link i have highlighted it in yellow. and looking at the drawing it must be on or adjacent to the starter solenoid.
So it sounds like you already knew the answers and just wanted some confirmation. 8-)

Hornrelay2.png

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
That looks like a great schematic. Where is it from?

You are correct, I was pretty sure, but I like to see schematics and I don't have one yet. How do we know what size it is?

Thank you Dave, Chris

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
The fusible link to the alternator is still there. The other one going straight to the headlights and such is just a wire with a spade terminal connecting it. :poop: work by someone who should find a new hobby. I hope whoever did it was a hobbyist and not a professional.

Chris

City
Halifax
State
UK
Oh dear that does sound like a fire waiting to happen, luckily you found it.

For sizing fusible links i have no idea how the automobile manufacturers do it but i would work out how much load is on the link and then add a good healthy chunk of amps on top as it should be a last resort thing and never intended to blow in normal conditions.

Does make you wonder why its not there now though? whether they didn't know what it was or had actually blown who knows!

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I agree. It's anyone's guess on why it's gone. On the bright side, I'm bringing it back to proper everyday.

Thanks for the help Dave

Chris

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Your PO and mine obviously learnt their skills from the same sparky; mine was littered with t- connectors and crimps . After years of chasing electrical gremlins I put in a painless harness: heaven. Worth every cent.

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
That's the one in the that is about $900 right? Does it come with factory style connectors for all the gauges and and instrument lights?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's the one. I got it from Quadratec, though it's a bit cheaper elsewhere. Had all the factory connectors including the dash cluster lights. I was truly impressed with the fit and quality. It even comes with all the light globes, fuses, relays, etc. I used all LED lights though so didn't use the incandescent globes they included.

I'll post a pic of the box when i get home.

Attachments

Last edited:
City
Chicago
State
DC
Did just what it was suppose to do. Replaced the wire harness in my 🚘 💡 CJ's. Only issue was when i bought the harness nothing i read said anything about not being able to use with the CJ with a computer. I recieved the harness and then it said not compatible with CJ's with a computer. Had to by pass the computer to make it work.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have used EZ Wiring harnesses in the past. They are a universal type that have a GM style fuse panel (like our Jeeps) and compatible column and headlight switch connectors. The wire is labeled every 5”. Easy to do- and retail is about $185. Harnesses are long enough to do a long bed truckThe only drawback is they do not provide a bulkhead connector for the firewall, I just run the wires through a grommet- one less spade connector to corrode!

https://www.ezwiring.com/product-page/ez-wiring-21-standard-wiring-harness