1982 South Texas Scrambler frame up

MOVERALL

Basic User
City
San Marcos
State
TX
Good day guys, I bought a 82 Scrambler rolling chassis a few years back and it has been sitting in my shop. I have a new motivation to get this rig up and running.
Where am I currently

I removed the body and stripped it to the frame, then added MORE frame reinforcement plates, its been primer and POR15 over.

The axles are Dana 44 from 79 Scout, I had the long end shortened, re-splined and all rebuilt, it has all Yukon gears and Timken seals, 4.10 gears

Rubicon express 4 in lift (need to get shocks still) will run 35s Hankook's

I removed the body and have a brand new one in a crate

I really need to get a motor/ drivetrain ordered and wanted to try and get some input

Option 1 Chevy 350 vortec

2 Or use a 258 4.2 lower with a 4.0 head (I currently have in a 83 CJ7 that I bought and was rebuilding before I got the scrambler)

3 or an option not thinking about

Leaning toward a crate 350 novak motor mounts Dana 300 TC and 700R4 tranny but pls let me know if that is a mistake or there are better options, I know there are folks with a ton of experience out there

General use will honestly be running my boys to baseball and light off road at my deer lease. My first car was a CJ7 and feel very lucky to have a Scrambler

I have 2 dana 300s, a dana 2, dana 30 front, amc 20 rear, T-18 tranny, dana 44 from waggy front, and waggy amc 20 rear 1 piece, plus allot of other parts I have picked up along the way

really wanting to get this done let me know thoughts on motor so I can get it ordered

Also want a full cage tied to the frame, DD custom dash, wheels TBD, and have

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Looks great. If the body was still available I was thinking of buying it next week, but since your ad is gone I assume it was sold.

Please show any details on the MD Juan body install. Many here would like to see what has improved and what hasn’t. I’ve never seen one in person, so I can’t comment.

MOVERALL

Basic User
City
San Marcos
State
TX
yah fellow out of Katy grabbed it pretty quick, was thinking of doing the AL body but got a deal on this one delivered so went with it.....got poison spider rock guards for it also

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
yah fellow out of Katy grabbed it pretty quick, was thinking of doing the AL body but got a deal on this one delivered so went with it.....got poison spider rock guards for it also
Good to hear, was worried it went to Dallas. Don’t really need an extra tub, but you never know when the desire to build another Jeep will hit. Hope you got all the cowl tags off it so you can put them on the new tub.

Boswellcj8

Basic User
City
Willis
State
Tx
Pretty close to you and doing the same except my body is good.

I’m went with a 5.3 LS / 4L60 swap with 4.56 gears on 33’s. Mine will be flat towed so I swapped from a good D-300 to an NP241C t-case.

Boswellcj8

Basic User
City
Willis
State
Tx
If you decide to stick with the 350 option I have a Turbo 350 already mated to a D-300 that I will make you a deal on!

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
anyone have thought on a Novak or MORE Bomb motor mounts?
I had the Novak mounts in my YJ and they were nice pieces with LOTS of versatility...but almost too much. If the MORE mounts are a good fit, I would almost lean MORE towards them...no pun intended.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I have a 4.3, 700r4, np241C and am very happy with the setup. The 700r4 is much easier to eat ice cream while driving than a manual. Has a nice low 1st gear and good compression braking downhill in low range. I used the early weld in Novak motor mounts and built a custom trans cross member. NOVAK and MORE both make great products. The new style NOVAK mounts have a large adjustment range to fine tune placement and they bolt in.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I used MORE mounts for my 350, and they worked out just right!

Novak mounts also have a great reputation. :thumbsup:

MOVERALL

Basic User
City
San Marcos
State
TX
great info glad to know I cant go wrong with either, I am stuck in North Dakota hoping to get home tomm this snow has everything messed up in the north, a shop in Austin has a 5.3 ls with cast block but AL heads and tranny with the whole wiring harness and ecm pedal and etc, hope it works out

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
No, using them in my build. Currently putting an LS (5.3 or 6.2, not decided yet, have both in the barn), NV4500, D300 NP241C (just bought a passenger drop one on Monday) in my ‘82.

Just had them handy and figured those photos show lots more than the stock photos on novak’s site.

I was considering the m.o.r.e. mounts, but I did not see a straight LS setup, you had to get the 350 mounts and use an LS adaptor. I did not like the flat AA mounts. The Novak was the closest to a stock ‘oem’ type mount in my opinion. If you are going with a 350, then I would probably go m.o.r.e., if LS then Novak.

MOVERALL

Basic User
City
San Marcos
State
TX
Sorry got stuck in the blizzard up north, so think I have decided to do the Chevy LS, man there is a lot of info out there and guys get wind o My initial thought is buy a 5.3 with 4L60 tranny and get all the wiring, ecm, foot pedals and etc, any one have suggestions on gen 3 vs 4 and AL or cast block. Since I am going up to 330-350 hp from 112 in a all cast 258 thinking the cast may be better to have a little weight that sits low

thoughts.