1983 CJ8 Restoration Begins

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
I just purchased this 1983 Scrambler and plan to restore it. I was told that it hasn't ran in about 15 years. The frame and the sheet metal are rust free and straight. I expect this thread will take a couple of years to complete as I don't seem to get anything done fast. I plan to keep it cosmetically original. I plan to strip all of the emissions and clutter under the hood and dash. I have already started pulling off the non stock items. Before I got too far along in the tear down process I wanted to get some pictures down loaded to document the rebuild. Along the way any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Thats a beautiful base to start with. Mine was a complete mess and in hindsight I should have waited to find a better platform. I look forward to seeing your progress.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That looks like a fantastic start! Can't wait to watch it come together :cheers:

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
It's Black and I plan to restore it right back to this color scheme and sticker configuration. For the winter I'll be pre buying the parts I know I'll need, and I will try to get the motor, trans, and transfer rebuilt. I know threads get boring without photos so I'll take as many as I can as I move along on this project.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Looks like a great start! Eagerly awaiting pics of the process.

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
Need to get the motor out so I stripped off the front clip this weekend. Received a stock front bumper today. I pulled the aluminum rockers off and put them in a safe spot. They are dent/scratch free. I plan to get the motor out this week and hopefully to the shop. A rust free vehicle is the way to go. I didn't strip, break, or round off any of the bolts during the tear down so far.

Attachments

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I am very perplexed as to why someone would paint only the one firewall/cowl section blue... it is seriously messing with my symmetry.

cb

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
The oil pan, flywheel cover, and steering shaft are blue also. When I'm done the color scheme will be conservative to say the least.

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
Unusual good weather in December has allowed me to get some work done on the scrambler. I hope to get the frame stripped and painted. Hopefully I can get this done before the engine gets out of the machine shop so I can place directly onto the frame.

Attachments

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
Now that it is stripped down I have found 3 spots of rust. Not bad for 35 years old. 2 roll bar mounting points and the back panel under the tailgate. I plan to fill most of the holes drilled in the dash as I plan to have a lot less wiring and zero emissions under the hood. I have the body ready to lift off the frame but no one around to help.

Attachments

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I learned a lot about rust from my dad when I was pretty young because we lived in an area where that was a real problem. I bought my jeep new and within about 5-7 years I removed my roll bar to take a look under there and saw trouble was already brewing. When jeeps were assembled, it was bare metal to bare metal so that is a real problem as you can see.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Now that it is stripped down I have found 3 spots of rust. Not bad for 35 years old. 2 roll bar mounting points and the back panel under the tailgate. I plan to fill most of the holes drilled in the dash as I plan to have a lot less wiring and zero emissions under the hood. I have the body ready to lift off the frame but no one around to help.
Bottom left of this page... classic makes great parts...

https://www.classicent.com/jeep/81-86-CJ8/floor

cb

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
Thanks for the info. Already been on the Classic Enterprises site. I was able to get my body lifted off the frame yesterday and strip down the frame. I'll get some pictures up when the sun comes out. My garage has terrible lighting.

USMCMutt

City
Beverly
State
OH
Stripped down the frame yesterday. It was cold, but sunny and dry so I went for broke. I have a heated room in my garage big enough to let me paint it today. I still need to replace the rear cross member and fix one body mount but I wanted to get it painted to prevent any corrosion. Only one body mount and the radiator mounting hole were corroded, the rest of the mounts looked great.

Attachments