1983 CJ8 Restoration Begins

The frame is painted. I had to replace 3 rivet nuts that were stripped out. I have replaced all the brackets that bolt onto the frame. I got the engine from the machine shop today so now I get to start rebuilding it myself. I also started to rebuild the T176 Transmission yesterday.

Attachments

I need some help. As I am currently rebuilding the motor and was ready to install the oil pump I realized that I'm missing a bushing. It is pictured in the parts book and service manual. There was not one on the pump when I removed it during the tear down. I've watched a couple of You Tube videos and there are no signs of a bushing in the installation process. I have a Melling pump but cant find a bushing on the Melling site or by using the original part number J400-5149. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
I need some help. As I am currently rebuilding the motor and was ready to install the oil pump I realized that I'm missing a bushing. It is pictured in the parts book and service manual. There was not one on the pump when I removed it during the tear down. I've watched a couple of You Tube videos and there are no signs of a bushing in the installation process. I have a Melling pump but cant find a bushing on the Melling site or by using the original part number J400-5149. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
This is for the 4.2, correct?
I'm simply going by memory, (but more importantly the FSM parts breakdown and R&R instructions)
I don't see the bushing that you mention. The parts list does show an alignment dowel that is in the block to position the pump.
Can you provide pics of the bushing location.

One book calls it a dowel pin and another a bushing. Funny since they are both Jeep manuals. It is the dowel that I'm referring too. Nothing protrudes from my block to help line up the pump.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User