• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Scrambler

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I have been looking to buy a scrambler for quite some time and I have found a 1983 scrambler (6cyl, 4 speed - I don't know the VIN yet) that I'm in the process of purchasing. Recently I have read a few different articles that give the impression that 1893 might not have been a good year for the scramblers and was wondering if there was any validity to this. I plan on restoring any scrambler that I buy, but was wondering if I should try and find another year model.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
As far as I know the 83 is a fine year the only one that seems to have bad things said about it is the frist year they were out-81. The 81 has the narrow trac axles and sr-4 tranny. My project is an 81 so I'm gonna keep the axles and go with an other tranny. ANY 8 is a good 8! Good luck with your purchase.

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
that's news to me...I think other than a few options, such as AC, tilt, trannys, etc., the Scramblers were pretty much the same throughout their production, biggest exception being the narrow trac axles in 81, as mentioned above. If you still have the articles, what in particular were they referring to as undesirable about the 83 model?
-mike

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
The articles didn't come right out and say that anything would be wrong with the 83, they just implied that there might have been a better year. I've read so much lately that I don't remember exactly, but the articles would say "it's an 81, not an 83" or something like that and that just made me wonder. I thought like you did that all the scramblers were basically the same with the exception being the extras that you could purchase. I didn't know about the different axles, and that might have been what they were talking about.

Thanks,
Wes

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I have an '82 myself. I also have an '85 CJ7. I would say that the '82 is easier to work on. There is no computer or emmisions junk to mess with. I believe that 82-83 are basically the same, and 84-86 are also similar. If you decide to pass on the '83, let me know where it is so I can check it out.

Thanks,
Tom

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I'll let you know about the 83, but I'm pretty sure I'll be the proud new owner in a few weeks. I have read some more, from some pretty reliable sources, and I don't think there are any problems with the 83's. Thanks for the info though.

Wes

Firetruck41

Scramblerless
City
Camas
State
WA
Beware of all Scramblers :D

FYI- They've all got problems, just wanted you to know that before you dive into jeep ownership. You sound as though you are going about buying a late model used car, reliability surveys will do you no good on a vehicle of this type and age.
The nice thing about old vehicles like these, is it is not very complicated to work on them. Unless you have a lot of discretionary income you have to be willing to work on and learn about the jeep yourself.

All 6 cyl scramblers are basically the same with the exception of axle width and tranny options on 1981 models.

Don't want to discourage you,as I have been able to learn alot about automobiles in the last two years by buying good service manuals, a few good tools, and refusing to take my 92 BMW 525 station wagon, and Jeep Scrambler to a mechanic, except for alignments. And of couse it would not be possible without message boards like this one. I figure I have saved $4-5000 on my (wifes) BMW alone.

Ben

wesmundy

Basic User
City
San Antonio
State
TX
I'm expecting some problems, but I was wondering if there was anything in particular that I should look for. I worked on the one that I'm buying last year and it was much easier than my F-350 Powerstroke, so I'm not to concerned. I think the general concensus is that there shouldn't be anything to watch for on the 83 year models. Thanks for the input.

Wes

jepr53

Basic User
City
wellington
State
Fl
For your concerns about the 83 "8", they are unfounded,as I have owned a 83 scrambler for the past 7-8 years. The only annoying thing I had was the so called electronic carter carb,as they get older you will have trouble keeping it in tune. the easiest thing to do is buy a new one or like I did put on a holly 2 bbl carb. Mine even passed the sniff test here in fla when we had it. I drove this jeep for 5 years every day and it never let me down, if you don't buy it let me know where it is ,i would like to have another one.

83 cj8,4 in BDS lift,33/12-50 BFG's,258 in six,auto trans,tilt wheel ,cruise control,and the original clock and tach still work