1983 Vacuum line nightmare

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
I was going to start replacing the nightmare nest of vacuum lines but thought I would check first.. are there things that can be removed without harm? I have searched the threads but couldn’t seem to find anything.. A lot of the hoses are deteriorated and at least need to replace them all but wouldn’t mind cleaning some of this crap out if I can...

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
I kinda see this two ways.

Stock and all emissions intact the hose by hose replacement is good. They are all there for a reason. You can make it run well with regular attention.

If your missing stuff, wanting to simplify, nutter, run a MC2100, etc you can kill all but distributor and preferably the OE air cleaner assembly.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Another vacuum question.. there is a vacuum can on the passenger side that looks like a coffee can with 2 vacuum lines. I can’t find this part anywhere.. any ideas on replacements?

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I believe you can get replacements from O'Reillys, or so I've read. It's a charcoal cannister, and there's a good chance it's still functional. It's not very complicated, only reason it wouldn't work as intended is if it were cracked or plugged up with something. It's a passive system.

tmancj7

Basic User
City
Denver
State
CO
The canister on the passenger fender is probably the vacuum reservoir. See this link:

https://gleebledorf.com/vac-res.html

A lot of good information here to help you sort out the vacuum lines. I have never seen a new canister for sale but used ones are out there. A lot of them have rusted to the point they don't hold vacuum anymore. Some jeeps had two of them, one on the passenger fender and another one on the drivers side firewall for jeeps with factory cruise control. The charcoal canister is down low on the drivers side fender and it should have four lines.

tmancj7

Basic User
City
Denver
State
CO
Yeah that should work, I did the same thing about 15 yrs ago on the CJ7 I had at the time. Details on exactly what I did are fuzzy now but I replaced the rusty canister with a similar type plastic reservoir.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Pretty poor design to put a tin can UNDER the battery.. 🙄
Walkerhoundvm, I just found a crack in the charcoal canister also...

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Pretty poor design to put a tin can UNDER the battery.. 🙄
Walkerhoundvm, I just found a crack in the charcoal canister also...
Here’s my comment on vacuum lines. I had every one of them on mine when I got it. Lived in NC where there were emissions tests. Removed all the emissions crap, still passed :shrug:

If it’s not a full on restoration I’d get all you can out of there. I did a MC2100 and HEI and got down to the distributor advance and I think that was it. That also lets you cut out even more wire than the miles of vacuum lines that go away.

pjevolley

City
Kingsville
State
MO
Here’s my comment on vacuum lines. I had every one of them on mine when I got it. Lived in NC where there were emissions tests. Removed all the emissions crap, still passed :shrug:

If it’s not a full on restoration I’d get all you can out of there. I did a MC2100 and HEI and got down to the distributor advance and I think that was it. That also lets you cut out even more wire than the miles of vacuum lines that go away.
Which HEI distributor did you go with? Also, how much emissions stuff did you take off? There are vacuum lines that run to three relays so I wasn't sure how much I could strip off without causing electronic issues... I am absolutely going to HEI ignition and have debated on the MC2100 carb..

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Which HEI distributor did you go with? Also, how much emissions stuff did you take off? There are vacuum lines that run to three relays so I wasn't sure how much I could strip off without causing electronic issues... I am absolutely going to HEI ignition and have debated on the MC2100 carb..
I got one used, so not much help there, it was a junkyard take-out. I removed every single thing related to emissions with the carb and hei swap. There are nicely done emission system/hose diagrams out there for CJs that were great for sorting this stuff out. I have to think a google search or search here would find them.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I did the "Nutter Bypass", TFI upgrade, and redid my vacuum lines based on a pre-emission diagram.
I don't have access to it now but you should be able to find one on-line.

Here's one for the MC2100:
2100.PNG

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
I initially bought a cheap HEI (be sure to swap over the cam gear), Nutter, rebuilt a junkyard MC2100, removed all vacuum except the distributor and left the CAT. It almost passed the emissions sniffer with the compression @ only 90-100. It would not pass visual (if we had that). Motor was too worn not to go to a used 4.0L. Now, it tests amazingly clean compared to the 1982 standards.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I kinda see this two ways.

Stock and all emissions intact the hose by hose replacement is good. They are all there for a reason. You can make it run well with regular attention.

If your missing stuff, wanting to simplify, nutter, run a MC2100, etc you can kill all but distributor and preferably the OE air cleaner assembly.
I think the 3rd and 4th categories are:

- Pull it all out and put fuel injection on it
- Pull it all out and put a clean 4.0 w/ fuel injection on it

Both of these undoubtedly burn much cleaner than anything from 1982....even if everything did work (closed loop computer controlled fuel system really is the best)