• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 Postal RHD UPDATED with Pictures

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Let me first say that I never ride my jeeps with top and doors.

Every time I went to get in this thing I went to the left side. Every Time...:banghead:

This will take some getting use to to actually take it on a road

It seems to be in really good shape with almost no rust around the wheelwells. It appears that no body work was done when the purple monster was painted. There are many places where the cheap paint job is chiping off and the original white paint is there.

Runs really strong just not really fast. I actually dont thing it is getting out of first gear. I was only in my parking lot but, it gave alot of high rpm and no real speed. But, sounded just like when the mailman pulls off...

It has a leak underneath in the front that I think may be from the power steering somewhere. Odometer has 150xxx but the motor looks to have been rebuilt and alot of the wiring cleaned up.

The driver's floor is rotted

Here are a few pics that I took today.

Picture7658-1.jpg

Picture7659-1.jpg

Picture7668-1.jpg

Picture7664-1.jpg

Picture7665-1.jpg

Picture7669-1.jpg

Picture7686-1.jpg

Picture7684-1.jpg

I had to delete some pics b/c I posted too many :banghead:

Last edited:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Wow!:woot::woot:

I mean, that thing looks really beat up and probably not worth working on. I'd be willing to buy it off you to save you all the hours of work that thing is going to need. I only offer that because I consider you a close personal friend and I don't want to see you suffer.:rolleyes:

I was just studying the photos and it looks like that exhaust hanger might be rusted. Looks like you might need a new U bolt. It's a damn shame.

Last edited:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I've got some half doors that just might be perfect for you or you could go no doors at all....

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
:woot: That things looks like it is in great shape (despite what others have said ;))! I love the fact that it still has Alaskan plates on it! However, the purple has to go!

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Oh no, top and doors stay. Thats why I bought it

Just saying I'm not used to driving with top and doors on let alone driving on the right side and not being able to see much

I will post more pics when I get home

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
Nice to see you finally got your hands on this one! :cheers:

Did you find out if this was the one that had the 8274 winch on it and was on CL awhile back?

Jeff

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I don't remember the winch, but I do remember this one being for sale. I think it was in Arizona.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
No winch from what I was told and can tell.

It does have the factory keys so all doors are keyed alike and actually lock.

here are a few more pictures:

uncut dash
Picture7679-1.jpg

driver's floor
Picture7680-1.jpg

Picture7677-1.jpg

some crazy heater
Picture7676-1.jpg

Picture7673-1.jpg

Picture7672-1.jpg

Picture7671-1.jpg

This was in it too. Not the same as the blue cargo net. It is insulated and has a heavy rubber flap at the bottom. Appears to mount on roll bar. :shrug:
Picture7692-1.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
It looks like you got a very solid Jeep; I love it! I definitely need a postal, mainly for the RHD! Find me one now too would ya? And I'm being serious! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
That really is in amazingly good shape. Very, Very nice find!:bow::bow::bow:

How does the engine look? Do you have any plans yet as to which direction you are going to go with it?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Is 3:00 pm today (Wed 11/10) still a good time for me to come by and pick up the top and doors?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Is 3:00 pm today (Wed 11/10) still a good time for me to come by and pick up the top and doors?

Let me go outside and make sure its still there. I'll call you ...:D

Just be waiting by the phone. Oh, and holding your breath :rotfl:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
It looks like you got a very solid Jeep; I love it! I definitely need a postal, mainly for the RHD! Find me one now too would ya? And I'm being serious! :thumbsup:

JeepScrambler,

I will let you know if and when I decide to sell.

My original intentions were to sell just the Postal Scrambler, and keep the rare top and doors. I do have other tops and doors that may go with it if a buyer wanted for extra.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Let me go outside and make sure its still there. I'll call you ...:D

Just be waiting by the phone. Oh, and holding your breath :rotfl:

I will have unloaded my project scrambler body parts off the trailer by early this afternoon, so I will have an unloaded trailer:thumbsup:

Does $300 sound good?:rotfl::rotfl::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
How does the engine look? Do you have any plans yet as to which direction you are going to go with it?[/QUOTE]

Engine looks very clean and runs very strong.

Picture7683-1.jpg

Which Direction :shrug:

I love the overlander look with the side windows and that was my original intention.
I was going to put this World Cab Top and doors on my 84 Laredo restoration and have the side glass added to look like the overlander minus the rear vent windows.

Would look like this with but, Laredo package, silver decals, chrome wheels, OEM brushguard etc:
https://www.cj-8.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9307&d=1182152022

My motivation comes from another member's thread on this site about adding the windows which turned out very good.

Now that I have it I'm not sure if I want to break it up. It's all in really good shape.

There are a few slight different gizmos that would have to be swapped as well
Minor stuff but cool.

The right tailgate bracket has an intergrated door stricker for the barn door.
The left tailgate bracket has a intergrated lightswitch for the rear dome lamp
Of course, the barn door hinges from the left side.

I would leave all factory holes available if I wanted to put the tailgate back on with no World Cab Top, etc..

I would restore my non Postal, 84 Laredo Scrambler to original form with the hard half top in black. The World Cab Top and doors to match the body in Sebring Red also. I would just have to deal with the extra holes when one or the other is in use..

All just thoughts with no clear direction yet. At least I have all the components.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Been traveling for work and hadn't gotten to see this yet... very nice! :bow: Bad news for you, I still go to the left hand side of mine every so often, so I don't think you'll stop that anytime soon. I always just play it off like I was looking for something on that side so I don't look like a total moron :D

Glad to hear that the paint wasn't hiding bodywork issues. It looks great.

I'd love to see it stay together :thumbsup:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I feel that I am really gearing toward that direction. This postal really is unique and :smokin: cool

The purple is starting to grow on me too :eek:

I've had atleast 6-8 people stop and chat with me at my office about it in the two days I've had it.

I get alot of "where do you find the things" and I just :D