• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 SL Restoration

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
1984 SL Restoration- 8274 SE

I finally found a Scrambler Laredo with factory Sebring red paint in good condition.

I do not plan on doing a body off restoration so, I wanted to be able to not mess with any painting under the hood. Mostly the fire wall.

I am just looking to cruise around town in a decent looking Scrambler and do some minor offroading.

I will have to fix some rust and then may have to paint the exterior Sebring red again. Not sure yet...I really want to keep the factory paint as I like the look.

It has a T-5 trans and a 258 than runs very well.

Xenon fender flares that I am going to sell and a STC soft top with the fast track.

Originally, I was going to sell the top but, I have grown to like the photo of bigwalton's with the top rolled up.

I may still sell the top if I can find a nice bulkhead and half hard top.

The inside has some sort of lining that I can scrape of with my fingernail. I plan on getting all of that out and lining with red linex with UV protectant.

Floors and rollbar mounts are nice an solid. The driver's floor in the picture has some muddy water that I had just wiped out looks like rust but is not.

I have not cleaned it up yet. I only had about an hour to check it out after the truck delivered because I had to go to work. :banghead:

Overall, little rust, runs great, shifts like new, and looks decent. This is currently my 4th CJ and the one that will get the most attention for a while.

I will post pictures as I go.

098-1.jpg

099-1.jpg

100-1.jpg

102-1.jpg

101-1.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks great! That's a fantastic place to start! :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Looks like a nice find:thumbsup: I plan on painting my current Scrambler project that same color:D

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Sebring Red Laredo

Man that is just what I've been thinking about for a driver. :drool:

I'd find a NOS windshield frame & some hinges and paint those Sebring Red.

Install the brushguard and wood side rails.

Bet a 5000 psi steam cleaner would blast the bedliner off.

Break out the buffing compound & strip the clear off the wheels

..... and I'd be proud to drive it around as is. :smokin:

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
looks great all round. Nice Black half cab hard top would look good!

Are the flares 6 or 7 inch?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I am not sure. There are a set on eBay for $372.65 Crazy. They say that front is 5" and rear is 6.5".

I will have to verify tomorrow what is on my Scrambler and will post.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
The Xenon flares are part numbers:
8204 Driver's Rear
8203 Passanger Rear
8261 Passanger Front
8262 Driver's Front

The rear measure approx. 5.5" at the top and approx.6.5" at the bottom
The front measure approx. 5"at the top and approx 5.5" at the bottom

They are in nice shape with no cracks or issues that I can see while mounted.

They are for sale. I will create a thread to sell them once I pull them off and get some pictures.

You can also PM any offers.

Thanks for all of the great responses. Keep em commin...

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
You can tell you have kids when you catch yourself looking at these pictures and thinking; "Slug-bug orange" and realize you get 3-hits because it is an old one...:crazy:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Well,

I finally made some progress on removing the bedliner and see just what was underneath

There is some fiberglass repair and I assume rust under that.

I wanted to see just where I stood with the current condition before I decided what direction to take for a semi restoration

I am no closer to a direction than before I removed the bedliner.

It was removed pretty easy in the bed but pretty stuck on in the cab.

Everything seems solid. You can see grind marks by the fiberglass edges so I hope it was to remove the rust.
I don't know anything about fiberglass so, It may have been to make it stick.

What should I do???

Try to remove the fiberglass and see whats under it or just have fun with the Jeep and fight the possibilty of more rust down the road???

I don't want to get the fiberglass out and then realize that I need new wheelwells, etc.

The bed iteself is actually pretty nice.

A little rusty, original condition can't be worth more than a decently restored Scrambler. Can it?

IMG_1774-1.jpg

IMG_1783-1.jpg

IMG_17751-1.jpg

IMG_17733-1.jpg

IMG_1781-1.jpg

IMG_1782-1.jpg

IMG_1783-1.jpg

Last edited:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
So much for original...

I have slowly started the rebuild.

The tub was a little rusty so, I bought another one. Great Shape with no rust anywhere.

Here a a few recent pictures

Picture7647-1.jpg

Picture7645-1.jpg

Picture7650-1.jpg

The tub is ready to come off. I'm just waiting on the lift

I have no idea what direction I am going next.

I never thought I would actually take it down this far $$$ :eek: :crazy:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Just don't keep track of how much money you spent and enjoy satisfaction.

I second that. I have a folder in the garage where I stick all the receipts from my current project. I dont plan on looking in that folder until a couple of years from now:D

If you take any shortcuts, they will always be there in the back of your mind bugging you with the "should have done this" or "I wish I would have done that" :crazy:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
If you take any shortcuts, they will always be there in the back of your mind bugging you with the "should have done this" or "I wish I would have done that" :crazy:[/QUOTE]

Not trying to take any shortcuts. I am just not sure what should be left alone, because there is nothing wrong with it, and what should be changed out.

Suspension, trans, stuff like that.

Seems easiest while it is broken down but why do it if it doesn't need it.

This is mostly the reason I never thought I'd break it down this far

There is no question if its all addressed individually

Chips up...All in.:shrug: :crazy:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Let me rephrase:D

Since your Scrambler is in good running condition, no leaks everywhere, no vibrations ,no bad noises et etc, if I were you, just do the body swap and paint for now. This way, the project stays at a manageable size, i.e. it doesnt "overwelm" you:cheers:

If you have any problems with any of the other stuff, you can just fix those problems as they crop up later on.

Once you get the body off, you will have a better idea of the condition of the frame and all the other stuff. You might just want to clean everything up really well, maybe repaint the frame yourself if you think it needs it:shrug:

Hope that helps:thumbsup: