• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1985 Scrambler - Leaking rear axle housing/replacement

ahalling

City
Shawnee
State
KS
I recently purchased my first Jeep, a 1985 Scrambler. The rear axle/housing is an AMC 20 and is leaking quite a bit at the passenger hub. I've tried to fix it and have it fixed but it continues to leak. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix it? If not, what replacement axles are worth looking into? I don't plan to do any serious off-roading in the Jeep. Please let me know if you need any further information and thanks in advance for your help.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Nearly any replacement axle would be an improvement. The CJ AMC 20 is pretty weak. They have weak axle tubes and weak 2 piece axle shafts. That said, with stock power and reasonable driving the 20 is fine enough. If it were me I would look at a Curry 9" or an East Coast Gear Supply Dana 44.

You aren't too far from 4x4 land in Topeka. I bet Mike would be able to get you set up either repairing your 20 or upgrading.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
X2 for East Coast Gear Supply. If you can afford it, they are fantastic and solve every issue at once with new brakes, etc

I have their Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 front and couldn't be happier

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Did you install new inner and outer oil seals in the rear axle?

ahalling

City
Shawnee
State
KS
@spankrjs Yes, new seals on both left and right axles. That fixed the leak on the right side but they still leak on the passenger side. I'm working with a local mechanic to see if there is a way to shim it or fix any slight play. I'd hate to buy a whole new rear end set up for an inconvenience like a leak. I'll just have to see what happens.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
@spankrjs Yes, new seals on both left and right axles. That fixed the leak on the right side but they still leak on the passenger side. I'm working with a local mechanic to see if there is a way to shim it or fix any slight play. I'd hate to buy a whole new rear end set up for an inconvenience like a leak. I'll just have to see what happens.

Take a look at this thread, starting at post #86, then jump to post #96:

Pretty in depth rear axle seal/bearing end play information :thumbsup:

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Do you have the 1-pc axle upgrade, or stock 2-pc axles (if so, there will be a big axle nut in the exterior center of the hub)..