• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1986 CJ8 in June 2019 JP Magazine

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Did anyone else see the 1986 CJ8 in the June 2019 edition of JP Magazine? It was a featured in an article about a Jeep show in Tennessee. It has a world cab top with windows and is left hand drive. It also has a Dana 44 rear axle. Per the article, it had a 4 cylinder originally but was replaced with a 4BT diesel. The article also mentioned that the vehicle was found in a storage container in Georgia.

I am by no means a CJ8 historian nor do I know anything about the owner but the story seems odd.

If it is true, could you imagine being the person who suggested the engine swap for perhaps the rarest Jeep CJ on the planet?

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Did anyone else see the 1986 CJ8 in the June 2019 edition of JP Magazine? It was a featured in an article about a Jeep show in Tennessee. It has a world cab top with windows and is left hand drive. It also has a Dana 44 rear axle. Per the article, it had a 4 cylinder originally but was replaced with a 4BT diesel. The article also mentioned that the vehicle was found in a storage container in Georgia.

I am by no means a CJ8 historian nor do I know anything about the owner but the story seems odd.

If it is true, could you imagine being the person who suggested the engine swap for perhaps the rarest Jeep CJ on the planet?
That jeep belongs to Jody Abbot and Dawn Abbot

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Yes - they were mentioned in the article. Owners of Southern CJ Sales and Trades according to the display banner next to the Jeep at the show.

I'm not trying to dispute any claims. Just seems crazy to finally find a 1986 and then have it be a LHD word cab with a Dana 44 - talk about the holy grail!

Jody

Basic User
City
Kingston
State
GA
Yes - they were mentioned in the article. Owners of Southern CJ Sales and Trades according to the display banner next to the Jeep at the show.

I'm not trying to dispute any claims. Just seems crazy to finally find a 1986 and then have it be a LHD word cab with a Dana 44 - talk about the holy grail!

Hey if you have questions about it, please fill free to give me a call. 678-873-4692 (Dawn) I would be glad to fill you in on why the engine was swapped out since you are concerned about it and find it odd!

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I didn't mean to imply the story was fake - it is an incredible Jeep with really rare features (as mentioned above) - any one of which make it collectable let alone all of them together. So rare that it doesn't seem believable - that was the intent of my post. This site has posted about "possible" 1986 CJ8's for years leading to multiple page threads debating authenticity.

The 4 cylinder is such a dog so I can understand a swap just not in a vehicle so rare. The Jeep world is different than the collector world though and most super rare cars don't come with a 4 cylinder!

Jody

Basic User
City
Kingston
State
GA
This is a long drawn out story, there was a long thread here about it but I think it was lost when the server went down. One of the other guys could answer that better. Long story kinda short is that the original owner wanted the 4bt in it bc he was gonna ship it to Africa and use it for his photography business. The original 4 cy locked up. He died before it was done. The guy we bought it from didnt know anything about what he had. It was sitting in a container in N GA. That's when the 4bt was put in it. So this was all done years ago and not by us.
It is a unicorn and we understand that the engine doesn't belong but it does still have a 4 cy in it! LOL
Seriously if you want the whole story feel free to call me. Not trying to hide anything and no one really knows what to think about it.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Somehow I missed that this was being worked on in Pennsylvania an hour from my house.:banghead::banghead: I realized it shortly after it departed PA.
I would have loved to have gone and seen this thing before it went south.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Thanks - I just read the article in JP magazine and thought it was weird that I hadn't seen anything about on here considering how crazy everyone goes over 1986's. I definitely could have missed it during the server crash.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
Ha - I do remember that thread! I clearly remember the "Buffy" screen name. I think once I read about the drivetrain swap I checked out since the originality was lost even if it turned out to be a 1986. I plan to re-read it tonight.

Apologies for starting an uproar over old news.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ha - I do remember that thread! I clearly remember the "Buffy" screen name. I think once I read about the drivetrain swap I checked out since the originality was lost even if it turned out to be a 1986. I plan to re-read it tonight.

Apologies for starting an uproar over old news.

That Scrambler will never be old news :thumbsup:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I'd like to see the article on the 86 CJ-8. Is there a link for it? Ever since the new format, BW has been on here constantly instead of occasionally. We notice. Way to go.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
As I remember, this one's VIN indicated an export model. I have a hypothesis (more of a half-ass guess) that the rumored 120ish 1986 Scramblers were actually built and exported (or meant for export) to South America. I saw another 1986 listed down there (VZ) but could not verify the VIN. If only I could find some examples to test it.

sevensandeights

sevensandeights
City
Mckean
State
PA
I don't have a link to the article. It's not a feature vehicle. It is just mentioned in the article about a Jeep show in Tennessee. There is one pic of the Jeep and one of the banner/poster that is displayed next to the Jeep at the show.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I love the dog dish hub caps. Any idea what they came off?