• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2.5” vs 4” lift

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
Right now, my 8 is on what I believe is an old 2.5” superlift and 32in tires. It rides real rough and I want to go to 33x10.5in tires. I really like the way the Jeep sits though. So, if I were to change out springs, would 4” be the way to go or 2.5”? I found some good deals on used bds 4in springs on CL. 834BDCB2-6F45-44C2-B0D7-5E241329550C.jpeg

Attachments

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I have the same set-up with 31's and had the same rough ride. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and the ride is night and day. I actually enjoy driving the jeep again. When I took off the original shocks they had lost all of their "bounce". In fact, they had been installed what I consider upside down (rod up) and collected water. 2 of 4 poured out rusty water. It might be worth swapping the shocks.

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I have the same set-up with 31's and had the same rough ride. I replaced the shocks with Bilsteins and the ride is night and day. I actually enjoy driving the jeep again. When I took off the original shocks they had lost all of their "bounce". In fact, they had been installed what I consider upside down (rod up) and collected water. 2 of 4 poured out rusty water. It might be worth swapping the shocks.
Okay thanks, which shocks did you go with?

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I went with these below. They arent a perfect fit (a bit long) but I dont expect to hit their limits. Worth talking the 4wd folks on the right size. The ride is awesome.

BIL-33-185606 Front 14.13"-22.58"
BIL-33-186542 Rear 15.11-24.35

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
For reference, I'm using 2.5" lift OME YJ springs, with Rocky-Road spring hangers (adding about 1/4" lift), M.O.R.E. YJ shackles (about another 1/2" lift), and a Daystar 1" body lift.

This amounts to about 3-1/4" lift (which I expect will sag a little over time), with 33x10.5 tires.

I like the way it looks, and there seems to be plenty of clearance.

lift - 1.jpg

By the way, the ride quality of the OME springs far surpassed my expectations!

I would absolutely repeat this mod in the future. :thumbsup:

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I ran 33s with a 2.5 inch Rancho spring lift with 1 inch of body lift and had plenty of clearance. The springs sagged eventually (after about 3-4 years) and I just put 4 inch superlift springs on. Still using the rancho shocks. The ride is not as bad as I had expected. Maybe the shocks are helping it out. But I have always heard that the superlift springs were hard.

6D89E623-DD17-4908-83C8-026A315D97D9.jpeg

joshvt

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I am on BDS 2.5” with BFG 33’s. (Actually 32.5”). No complaints about the ride, but this is my first scrambler so no basis for comparison other than stock. 36DCE871-D1FB-47A4-B6A4-DCEE90727587.jpeg

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Not sure what Lift we removed but the BDS is a big improvement.
I am running 1" Superlift springs on my green Scrambler, wish they were softer. I am staying with 30" tires, maybe 31", just not sure if i want to go with a 2.5" lift.

I guess I could get custom 0-1" lift springs made:shrug:

I am assuming those are stock tires in your above photo?

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
33x12.50's sitting on a 4" Pro-Comp lift and Pro-Comp shocks, hand to God, worst riding Jeep to ever roll down the road.

I plan on swapping to a BDS lift later this year.

IMG_0550.JPG

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I'm thinking maybe BDS YJ conversion with 2" BDS YJ springs, a bit shorter then the 2.5" springs, maybe better fit for 30"-31" tires. Need to see if I can get the spring rates from BDS and compare to stock.