2006 lJ Rubicon 3800 miles

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Been looking for nice LJ Ruby for while and finally found one with uber low miles and adult owned.

I had a 2007 JK and it's not really a Jeep.

Looking for ideas how to trick out.

Highline fenders

Front winch & rear tire swing buv
PHP:
n
mpers.

35 or 37" BFG

Long arm with race bumptsops.

Maybe tummy Tucker and 1/2" bl. So can run long arm kit.

Really thinking of v-8 all aluminum motor swap with 5 speed auto.

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Nice find, red mistress (although the photo(s) didn't display for me). FWIW, my fiancee has an '11 JK Unlimited. It's a nice Jeep, but there's no way I'd trade my '05 LJ for that or any other vehicle. I love mine.

What you're looking to do sounds much like what I'm currently doing to mine (build thread HERE). Here's a current photo of mine with my daughter cheesin' in the driver seat. And yes, I now have it on jack stands instead of blocks. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Lj

Not sure what all to do, been reading all day.

There are so many options, aftermarket support is overwhelming.

Lots of work (beating in floor pan & 4WD shifter) for tummy tuck, but gotta have as foundation of long arm?

I'm going to daily drive this.

Want on road handling with 35"

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
See my build? DD on 35s with fairly minimal effort and expense. Long arms are great, but you're getting into a lot more work and expense.

I think whatever long arm you do would have its own skid setup from what I've seen. We're I doing a long arm, it would be the AEV kit (used to be nth Degree).

There was a recall on the oil drive thing I think, had it done on mine.

City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Not sure what all to do, been reading all day.

There are so many options, aftermarket support is overwhelming.

Lots of work (beating in floor pan & 4WD shifter) for tummy tuck, but gotta have as foundation of long arm?

I'm going to daily drive this.

Want on road handling with 35"

Just be careful...it can get exponentially expensive (ask how I know :rotfl:). Long-arm aside, there are tummy tuckers that don't require a body lift or clearancing the floor pan. I originally had an AEV Tummy Tucker for mine (nice piece!), but returned it in lieu of a Full-Traction skid that's part of their long arm kit.

Check out the Rokmen "Niblet Rising" build (build thread HERE, with more photos on their website HERE). They seem to be the kings of low-COG builds that make sense. Niblet Rising is a short-arm set-up that still flexes very well, and squeezes 37s under a TJ with just 2.5" of lift.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I loved my RE Superflex 4.5" short arm lift with Nth Degree (AEV) Tummy Tucker flat skid on my TJ. I daily drove it on 36" swampers and it was great. The short arms are not as good flexing as the long arms however, I didn't scrape my arms on everything offroad, they were tucked up out of the way and I still went everywhere they guys with long-arms went. I did have to add a 1" body lift to have clearence for the tranny and t-case when I did the Tummy Tucker but I didn't have to do any cutting or beating on the floor pan.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
TJ aftermarket

Lots of TJ knowledge on the best CJ forum.

Niblet looks good.
The AEV Hi-line looks more factory.

Rockman makes 1/2" BL maybe that's enough not to have to beat (clearance) floor pans for tummy tuck skid.

Also could do 5/8" motor lift.

9th degree's long arm kit has dogleg & twisted raised arms.

Which joint is best for street use? I read in magazine few months ago they were going back to rubber like factory.

Read that T-case shifter linkage is problem.

There is so much to read on TJ'a it's really overwhelming.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
To be frank, IMO there's no way you can just "read up" on TJ/LJ tech unless you somehow narrow it all down artificially. Pick a forum, magazine, manufacturer, or something else and then limit yourself to that. You'll go nuts trying to find and/or digest everything there is to read on any mod for these.

Those arms are why I liked the nth degree kit, regular long arms just look to be begging to smack rocks all day to me.

I think its a given that rubber is more stock-like in ride, they just limit articulation over the johnny-joint style ends. Got to pick your poison.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Low mile LJ

Well I bought it. :woot:

I haven't seen it yet, but had a Jeeper check it out with fine tooth comb.

It's definately got bunch of old man chrome stuff that is coming off. Not sure why they put a chrome bumper below a existing bumper?

So far have found a NOS Leather steering wheel, cruise control kit, RB1 Nav & Sirus radio with U connect and 65th anniversary floor mats.

Almost pulled the trigger on a RIPP Tech supercharger, but not many peeps feedback on Jeep Forums....from people that bought the kit.
I'm sure a 6.4VVT and WA580 would be more power...but don't want to mess up a nice LJ.

Did decide on the Mopar Bumper with the new style black Warn CTi Winch.

(like this picture but black.)

The Mopar Winch bumper is a "stubby" type bumper (without saying LOOK I'm a stubby bumper) and IF i decide to ever put the AEV Highline fenders and hood looks good and the bumper just gives a OEM look.

Guess will have to see how it drives and handles with the 31" tires then decide about more power and lift.

Really thinking a Safari Cab would look so much better than the long roundness of OEM LJ top.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
When we were getting ours in '05, we had a red one lined up and had people on the way from our dealer to TN to pick it up with a dealer trade in tow, but the dealer that had agreed to do the trade sold it out from under us.

I'm curious how that second rear bumper is even attached???

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
The Nth Degree stuff is very well thought out. It is now AEV as they bought them out. Supposedly it was a group of Ex-Jeep engineers that started Nth Degree.

I have the Nth Degree skid on my 2001. With no body lift it is tight, and worst thing is that the Floor is really hot. No room for air circulation. It gives great clearance though. I might look at the 1.2" body kit, or make my own. I would like a cooler floor.

Start thinking about a SYE kit. I broke the output on mine in the driveway, and went with the JBConversions super short. 32 spline and very well built.

You might look at the Advance Adapters rubi crawler. Nice to get 2.72 and 4:1 ratios. Then you can always double them up for extreme.

I have the 2.5" OME springs on mine and am really happy. I went with JKS arms to turn the rear axle to the pinon. Be aware that you need to do the shock relocation or you will dent them. I really like the JKS short arms as they are rubber bushing with a Fine thread in the body that does the rotational flex rather then relying on the joints. Help to relieve stress on the mounting points and the bushings.

I would hold off on engine stuff. That 4.0l does really well. Especially if you do not add to much weight to it. There is always the Stroker upgrade if you need the power. Axles and geaars will do a lot. take a look at the Niblet Jeep. Using the RCV shafts and proper gearing will let you run much bigger tires. But you might want to re-enforce the C's and tube before you hit a lot of really hard trails.

The advantage of the AEV fenders is they look factory, and infact are based off of the original stampings. Same Manufacturer. But they will also bend like factory if you rub a tree or rock. The Rockmen high-line stuff are tougher but heavier. There are also Metal Cloak and gen Right for high line flat fenders. The Aluminum stuff is coming along but the look is different from factory.

BTW, with 2.5" and 33x10.50's on stock Canyons. My TJ stuffs well and goes most places. If I go to 35's or 37's I am looking at much more upgrades.

For you stick with 2.5" lift, good arms. and upgraded axles. 33's are nice. And you might be able to get by with 35's with the High line kit.

Carl

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I just want to "upgrade" to STOCK. The previous owner of my LJ decided to put on 215/75r15 tires...at least they are BFG TA/KOs. Man, those little tires move FAST!

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Sway bar disco

Been reading for days on sway bar disconnects.

Read the Anti-rock is a little soft for spirited street driving.
Their arms also work loose from splines.

Dual rate bars give light torsion bar for off camber & side hilling & heavy torsion for street driving.

JKS has the switchblade dual rate but haven't found many people that bought it.

Off Road Only now only offers a single rate bar

Teraflex has twin dual rate torsion bars but head the knob gets packed with dirt and road grime.

Savvy has sway bar in design phase.

I had a 2007 JK Rubicon and really enjoyed the electric sway disco. With it disconnected, going over rough bouncy trails made ride very comfy.
Peeps have tried to install JK sway disco in TJ but haven't seen where the finished.

Think going to stay with 33" max tire size.
Still not sure best way to accomplish.
Thanks for tip on floor getting hot with Tummy Tucker.

Since I'm going to daily drive and this is last real Jeep ever built, is a Rubicon LJ and has such crazy low miles....
Think I'm just going to make interior nicer and get Leather cruise steering wheel, upgrade the radio to Jeep's best, replace factory speakers and get an amplifier.

There is a very good write-up of how to build sub woffer box & amp into the rear seat cushion.

Also found a high end seat warmer & A/C

Kiko

Base Coat 1H
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
I just put on a 3" fully adjustable BDS suspension on mine with quick sway bar disconnects. 3" is about as far as you can go with short arms. I have it sitting on 285x75x16s (~33x12.5) with stock rubi wheels. I love the BDS lift. Only downside is I need to use 1st every now and again. :)

I agree about the safari top. I love the look of the roll up windows like a lot of scramblers have. I just wish someone would make a top like that for the LJ. I would buy it in a second.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
My 05 Rubicon came with factory cruise control/leather steering wheel, let me know if you need any pics:thumbsup:

As for a sub-woofer, my 05 came with the sub-woofer in the center console. Works OK, aftermarket makes an upgraded speaker that will replace the factory one.

Somebody mentioned SYE, the Rubicons come with fixed rear yokes, so you don't need one:cheers:

As for the distributor/cam position sensor/oil pump failures, I would not worry about it. Run your VIN at the dealership to see if it one of the 2900 "possibles". If not, no sweat. My 05 has 124,000 miles, has not blown up yet, and I have drove it hard (10+ hours at 80 mph etc). I think this is a real problem, experienced by a minority of people, a very vocal minority:twocents:

No real opinion on a lift, mine is still wearing stock size tires. You will be amazed where a stock Rubicon can go, with good spotting. If you are only going to 33's, I think long arms would be a waste, and it is very hard to go back to stock once you torch off the factory link mounts to go with LA. For just 33's, maybe a 1" BL and an off the shelf 3" short arm lift. Should take you anywhere you want to take this vehicle, if you plan on not smashing it up:twocents:

Sorry I cant be more help, I have decided to keep my 05 stock, for two reasons:

1) Daily Driver
2) Figure it might be worth more at resale being stock

I will say one thing, I have been very happy with my 05. Bought it new in 05, 124,000 miles later, no real problems. It has been serviced at the dealership I bought it at every 3000 miles since new. Only "problems":

1) Factory battery lasted 5 years, then died.
2) Replaced all brake pads (pads only, no rotors) at 75,000 miles.
3) Blower motor resistors burnt out (fan only works on top 2 speeds). Fixed once under warranty, currently broke again
4) The headlight switch/stalk changed out due to rheostat going bad

For a jeep, it has been a very reliable vehicle:woot: It serves as a "dual role" model perfectly. It is just at home as a DD as it is on a rocky trail. I have took my stock Rubicon on some pretty serious trails, and even with stock tires, it has consistently amazed me at what/where it can go. I have only had to winch it twice, and that was because it was about to flip over:crazy: They really are capable Jeeps, well, the TJ ones:twocents::D

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
How much hard wheeling are you going to do, I'd not bother with the disconnects outside of whatever came with the lift you end up doing.

Agreed that I wouldn't bother with long arms for 33s. I'd have real trouble torching off the LCA mounts on mine for the same reasons that were stated.

It's probably still on the market, I got a converter to turn the CD changer input into an input plug, I used that to add satellite radio with no cutting/changing the stock equipment. Also can do an iPod.

I've never had any real complaints about the stock stereo (one with the sub), it's not perfect, but it's a Jeep after all.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
How much hard wheeling are you going to do, I'd not bother with the disconnects outside of whatever came with the lift you end up doing.

Agreed that I wouldn't bother with long arms for 33s. I'd have real trouble torching off the LCA mounts on mine for the same reasons that were stated.

It's probably still on the market, I got a converter to turn the CD changer input into an input plug, I used that to add satellite radio with no cutting/changing the stock equipment. Also can do an iPod.

I've never had any real complaints about the stock stereo (one with the sub), it's not perfect, but it's a Jeep after all.
Did your's come with the in dash 6 disc changer?

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
No, single CD, but it has an input plug on the back specifically for an external CD changer.