258 I-6: Oil Capacity?

Autozone says 5 quarts. I have read many Jeepers on the net, though, who swear it holds 6 quarts.

Anyone have any input on this subject?

Thanks.

Marine-OpLaw

'ANTIQUATED' PackRat
City
Fredericksburg
State
VA
All of mine read full w/ five.

I noticed the same discrephancy... but I've never used six (6) quarts, only five. That is WITH a filter change. Five gives me a full 'reading' on the dipstick, and that's good enough for me.

I'd love to know where the six (6) comes from....:confused:

dcompton

Basic User
City
Front Royal
State
VA
uh yep

As usual I'm with Marine-OpLaw. 5 Quarts with a filter change. I have the Haynes manual that shows 6 also. And if I'm not mistaken so does Chiltons.

The first oil change I did on mine I used 6. Man, it is scary to pull that dip stick and see that you're a full quart over full. You're just waiting to hear the seals blow. That didn't happen of course, it would probably take more oil than that.

Have fun!

DC

yep yep 5 quarts

My repair books said the same thing about needing 6 quarts...who in the hell knows where they got that from? I'm with these guys 5 is the number

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Depends on the number/rate of leaks in your 258 :D :D

Some might be 10-20 before a change, and that's WTIHOUT the filter :D :D

I do 5 also in reality.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I remember this coming up when I was younger. My Chiltons said 6, the owners manual said 5. Guy who worked on my Jeep when I was too scared to do it myself said he put in about 5.2 quarts with a filter and that put it dead on the "full mark" on the dipstick.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I thought you meant oil consumption........ my bad. I will see myself out.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I put 5 quarts plus in but not 6. I use the larger filter J trucks call for. Some books oil filter application books call for the larger one but most call for the smaller one. Larger filter obviously means more oil needed to hit full mark.