• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

2tall's Scrambler Ownership Journey

2tall

Silver Member
City
Pass Christian
State
MS
Oh boy, Raymond got himself a new playmate!
After finishing his Green build thread and about 1/3 through the Red one's build, I'm not sure if I'd be honored or embarrassed to have look at my pile. @spankrjs has built some impressive rigs that I hope to check out in person one day.

As for the engine cover, I'm kind of indifferent on it. I don't like the bare truck intake manifold look or the full 3 piece cover used on the 6.0s, so this was cheap and hid the ugly dirty mess. I'd like to find the earlier more squared off style, but couldn't find any at the local place.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's good to know I have a local scrambler expert near by if the need arises:cheers:

Y'all need to catch up for a drink and/or some grub. I wish ol' Ray lived that close to me... (up here and not down there in the utter weather hellscape that is the south :rotfl: )

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
Renee and I really enjoyed this story and continuing the tradition of great Saturday morning threads over coffee. She wants that Bronco in front of the rooftop taco and tequila bar or that beautiful yellow Renegade since that's my nickname for her from the day we met. I like the profile pic in front of the beach because I wear the same look on my face when I drive mine. Beautiful rig and thanks for sharing your journey.

2tall

Silver Member
City
Pass Christian
State
MS
Renee and I really enjoyed this story and continuing the tradition of great Saturday morning threads over coffee. She wants that Bronco in front of the rooftop taco and tequila bar or that beautiful yellow Renegade since that's my nickname for her from the day we met. I like the profile pic in front of the beach because I wear the same look on my face when I drive mine. Beautiful rig and thanks for sharing your journey.
X2 on that Bronco when they are done well. They and CJs are just off the charts in the cool factor
Thanks! The Bronco is pretty nice and still has some rare factory parts on it according to my neighbor, the underhood toolbox and center front seat so your able to seat 3 across in the front row. I considered an early Bronco but the prices drove me to other options.

2tall

Silver Member
City
Pass Christian
State
MS
Spent yesterday putting some work into the steering upgrades and some maintenance. Replaced the original steering box mount with a new one from Throttle Down Kustoms. I was really impressed with the rear bumper and swing out from them, so I knew it would be quality.
C9FB45E2-7972-42AB-ACF1-12EA67071031.jpeg
This seems to be pretty common with replacement box brackets, but the extra bolt on the top side is a nice addition.
AC518D6B-3C26-4203-A715-39EF6B6BD8CF.jpeg
Beef on top, stock on bottom. Instructions weren’t great, but included all the hardware, spacers, and a sweet sticker.
9C808C66-82BA-463A-AF2E-4EE71F869364.jpeg
After completing the steering box upgrade, I put some Barnes 4WD heim joint spacers on the steering joints. Who ever built and installed the heim steering just used Grade 8 flat washers.08EAE748-9660-4F77-9276-DBC6A856A14F.jpeg
Also gave the tie rod and drag link and coat of paint while everything was out, lubed the heim joints, and cut out a poorly welded in steering box brace. Much cleaner looking under the front now.
2717670F-30FE-4159-84DE-5E81D8F438C1.jpeg
Installed a new K&N filter late last year, recently found out the correct sized Filter Wears warp for it. Also add 5 HP with a Barnes sticker on the intake, but that’s probably coming off.
744049EC-B3C4-4181-B219-2A8969FCB642.jpeg

Are the steering box braces necessary after upgrading the mount? The type that clamp at the box and mount to the passenger frame rail?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Even with the HD steering box mounts I feel the cross over brace is needed, especially with large tires and/or off road driving. They really keep the box from wanting to deflect under load. I like the M.O.R.E. braces, have one on my red Scrambler.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I hope those are mechanical lock nuts on the steering heims and not a flat washer and lock washer...

2tall

Silver Member
City
Pass Christian
State
MS
I hope those are mechanical lock nuts on the steering heims and not a flat washer and lock washer...
They are unfortunately, I added some red loctite the last time time I put them on. On the to-do list is measure for new bolts at each end. Do you recommend nyloc nuts or something else?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Even with the HD steering box mounts I feel the cross over brace is needed, especially with large tires and/or off road driving. They really keep the box from wanting to deflect under load. I like the M.O.R.E. braces, have one on my red Scrambler.
I'm with this. I went through the trouble of cutting and rewelding a cross brace setup for my RHD after doing the MORE HD relocation mount (which I had to have welded together for RHD, they were nice enough to send me a kit unassembled when I asked.)