• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

2WD 4BT Cummins/ Allison auto ‘82 CJ-8

cblfhs

scramblin 400
82 CJ-8 (2wd 4bt/Allison auto swap) Frame-Off Rebuild

Year: 82

Model: Standard

Final tire size: 31”?

Build details:

I bought this project off of WebsterCJ8 on the forum.

I broke my neck a couple years ago and I have found a friend to build me a 2WD jeep at a price I can sort of afford ha ha Ha ha ha Just Empty Every Pocket = jeep

this might be one of the first disability equipped Scrambler‘s. I am a wheelchair user now so this will have hand controls for gas and brake with the left-hand, a tri-peg on the steering wheel for the right hand, and a crane in the bed to hoist my wheelchair.

I also bought a Four cylinder Cummins frame cut from this dude Chad McKimmey on eBay. Computer controlled engine and five speed Allison automatic transmission from the radiator to the back of the driveshaft...

My friend in Minnesota who I am paying to assemble the jeep has just pretty much finished holding everything together in terms of initial assembly with the stock drivetrain, this might be sort of a lazy build thread because I do speech to text and I am getting pictures from my friend who is building the jeep for me but anyways here it goes ....

Attachments

Last edited:

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
This looks like a very unique build, and I love it!

I also love that you have a vision of what you want to end up with, and you're sticking to it!

It looks like your Scrambler came with the rear hoop of a Rock-Hard cage installed... did you get the rest of the cage with it? If so, it will provide plenty of hand-holds, to make it easier getting in and out.

I put a Rock-Hard cage in mine, and removed the stock roll bar completely. I like this setup, because now I have 3-point seat belts (which I didn't have before), and I have much better access to the bed. I mention this, because it looks like the stock roll bar might interfere with your chair lift.

I look forward to following this build! :cheers:

cblfhs

scramblin 400
This looks like a very unique build, and I love it!

I also love that you have a vision of what you want to end up with, and you're sticking to it!

It looks like your Scrambler came with the rear hoop of a Rock-Hard cage installed... did you get the rest of the cage with it? If so, it will provide plenty of hand-holds, to make it easier getting in and out.

I put a Rock-Hard cage in mine, and removed the stock roll bar completely. I like this setup, because now I have 3-point seat belts (which I didn't have before), and I have much better access to the bed. I mention this, because it looks like the stock roll bar might interfere with your chair lift.

I look forward to following this build! :cheers:
You make a lot of fantastic points! I love the look of the factory roll cage and I may be sending my friend and builder, Alex a spare wheelchair so he can see how the chairlift will work in conjunction with the Roll Bar.
Thanks!