Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Guys, I need some help with fuel lines.
4.0L out of a '96 Cherokee.
The fuel rail has only one supply line going in (no return line as there is a supply line coming out of the regulator back near the tank).

I'm trying to re-route the supply line down the passenger side frame rail coming over the valve cover and into the fuel rail on the drivers side.

My problem is the connection to the fuel rail.
The current setup which probably came from the Hesco kit has the factory plastic quick connector with the o-rings inside but immediately changes to a custom bent plastic line, makes a few turns where it runs beneath the intake manifold, and then changes back to steel line. At that junction, the plastic line appears to have been heat-shrunk to fit two flares in the steel line. Strange but it worked (or didn't work as I think this is where I have been getting my vapor lock issue due to it's close proximity to the exhaust manifold)

So, my question is, how do I go from the fuel rail to rubber hose then to my custom bent steel line routed over the valve cover. Suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You might look here for adapter pieces-

http://catalog.fmsiinc.com/category/nylon-repair

Napa carries steel to nylon adapters, nylon hose, and end fittings. You may have to get them ordered, but they're listed in their catalog.

Why not try putting an insulation sleeve over the existing routing?

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Thermal-Heat-Sleeving/1130487/10002/-1

I'd stay away from rubber line unless it's something like the push-lock line I used on mine. I have 60+psi. Here's a pic of the metal/plastic/rubber lines I used on mine. It's a combo of Napa nylon and Summit/Russell/Earls soft line and fittings.

IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0063.JPG

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Randy,
You, sir, are the man.
Very useful links, both of them.
I'm trying to keep this simple but at the same time, don't EVER want to wind up on the side of the road again just waiting for things to cool. Not fun when you have the wife and kiddo with you and it happens in a) Memphis and then later in b) middle of nowhere NE Arkansas in the middle of a bunch of rice paddies, after dark, with mosquitoes that breed in the rice paddies that have developed to the size of turkey vultures. Not fun. Not happening, ever again.

CJ8LVR

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
AL
Found what may be another possible solution in various local parts houses:
Link to Advance Auto Parts Dorman Option
The packaging includes instructions that indicate that you can soak the black nylon component in hot water for 10 minutes and form it however you like.

Do any of y'all have any experience with this style/brand? It looks identical to what is on the Jeep now, just bent the wrong direction from where I want it to go. Tried heating up what I have with no luck. Wouldn't bend. Perhaps once it's been bent and "cured" so to speak, it's in that shape forever. Anybody have any ideas?