• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

4.2 firing problems.....

kickin'chicken

Basic User
City
Anniston
State
Al
So my 26 yr old son decided to buy his first jeep. I urged him to buy a fuel injected 4.0 in a wrangler but he decided to buy a CJ. Looks like I raised a CJ man (brimming with pride.)

The problem.....it's ok at low rpm but sputters pretty bad when revved up.

Wires appear to be in good shape . So it's possibly the distributor or the electronic ignition. Is there a method by process of elimination would help narrow it down or is there something else I should check first?

TIA

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
is it getting enough fuel?

My thought exactly. That exact thing was happening to my impala. It was a clogged fuel filter. Replaced that and is all better now.

Good luck.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
A quick test of the filter is to remove it and see how it acts. Or replace it. They are not very much. Of course I hate throwing parts at an issue. What carb are you running? Do you have good flow/spray?

kickin'chicken

Basic User
City
Anniston
State
Al
A quick test of the filter is to remove it and see how it acts. Or replace it. They are not very much. Of course I hate throwing parts at an issue. What carb are you running? Do you have good flow/spray?
its a Webber

IMG_0486_zpscurbh5qx-1.jpg

laffman

CJ-8 Member
City
Imlay City
State
MI
Is there a pressure regulator on it? Webers are touchy. They don't like anything over 3-3.5 psi of fuel pressure. When you get on it, it floods the bowl and bogs down. Get a good pressure regulator, not the cheep Mr. Gasket one. That one doesn't do the job. I use a Redline regulator and an inline pressure gauge.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
has any one played with the spark plug wire at the distributor. I wired mine backwards one time and it ran like carp but it did run. Drove me crazy for a couple of days until pull all the wiring off and started again and figured out I had them going around the distributor in the wrong direction the first time. You wouldn't have thought it would run but it does.