44 ball joints

I'm installing new ball joints on a 75 wagoneer 44. Hanes says to torque the bottom stud 70-90 and the split ring seat on the top to 50. By the time I hit 50 lbs with the sleeve its over half way out the bottom of the yoke and is hitting on the rubber and the knuckle turns real hard. Searching the net those seem to be the right #s. One place I read to turn the sleeve until it pull at about 15 lbs at the knuckle arm but on mine that happens at about 30 lbs of torque on the sleeve. Is that ok or am I missing something. 100 lbs is my # on the top nut. Thanks again Bob

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I was able to torque mine to specs when I built it, I know that doesn't really help you.

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Did you torque the bottom stud first and then do the top one?

If the ring is going down that far you may have the wrong joint. Or the yokes or knuckle may be damaged. I have done several ball joint replacements on the D44 and never had a problem similar to yours.

By the way. You definitely want to get this figured out, or you will be replacing the joints again real soon. The first time I ever did a set I didn't torque the split ring. I just got it snug. The upper joints were toast after only 2 off-road runs. The specs you are using 70-90, 50 and 100 seem correct as I remember.

Later,
Tom

Last edited:
Yes the bottom was torqued first. Is that what I was supposed to do. I hope their the right ones. I'm in Oregon and I got the joints from Krage in Ten. with a larger order. They pressed in and looked the same. I'll have to look closer.I don't suppose they take back a ball joint that has been installed and greased? Thanks Bob

Last edited:

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
Sounds like you installed them correctly. Give Krage a call on Monday. They are usually pretty helpful. If I remember correctly the joints are the same for D30 and D44 axles. Sorry I can't be more help.

Later,

I tore it all apart and went again. When I start torqueing the ring It gets harder and harder until it reaches 45 lbs. At that point it's about two threads through the bottom. But then it stays at 45 lbs for the next several turns and does'nt reach 50 until it's halfway out the bottom and is going into the rubber. Thanks for the replys Bob