• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

5.3 to nv3500

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I am curious to find out if anyone has done a 5.3 with the factory nv3500 configuration? Some of the lighter duty pickups came from the factory with 4.8s and nv3500s. This seems like a great way to avoid adaptors and still retain a factory 6 round transmission tail housing. Chris

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I started out in that direction on Copper, but changed over to an auto. The 3500 is a decently strong trans, but I’d stick with low gears and stay away from huge tires…

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
It's been a while since I looked into that one. But I'm pretty sure I quickly abandoned that idea because I wanted my Dana 300 so I used the Ax15 instead. The ax15 uses a clocking ring which makes the T case sit almost flat (which is awesome) and the tail shaft is the perfect length to engage the transfer case. The tail shaft on the NV3500 is too short. If you do this with the Ax15, you will need the transmission tail shaft seal for a 94 V6 Dodge Dakota 4x4. The one for the ax15 in the Wranglers will NOT work. Must be for a Dakota. I have had this setup for 5 years now, works great.

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I had a 4L60e in mine (motor and trans + adapters came as a package) I had some issues with the automatic and wanted a manual anyway so I put a NV3500 in. Bolts up with the right parts, there are some different thickness flywheels I believe, you just have to pick the right stock one, no need for one that is custom. I used stock slave cylinder and a master from summit. If memory serves me right I put a new input shaft and clocking ring in the TC to make it work with the nv3500.

Not sure I would do it again (would go for the nv4500) but should be ok for what I use mine for / driving style. Mine wasn't as expensive as a nv4500 but for another $300-400 I could have had a much heaveir duty trans with better 1st gear.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
NV4500 weighs about 200 lbs, shift like a truck

NV3500 weighs about 100 lbs, shifts more like a car

If that matters.

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I think I have decided to go with the ax15. My current plan is to use the Quick Draw brand bell housing as it uses stock clutch and engagement parts.

Thanks again for all the input.

Chris

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I think I have decided to go with the ax15. My current plan is to use the Quick Draw brand bell housing as it uses stock clutch and engagement parts.

Thanks again for all the input.

Chris
Have you checked out my thread? I think right around post 31 or 32 I show the internal slave setup. Now that I have more miles on the setup I can definitely tell you it's smooth and overall works fantastic. I know there are other options out there. But pricing everything up this seemed to be the best bang for your buck. Just my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you choose. :wave:

BDCCLARK

Lifetime Member
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Have you checked out my thread? I think right around post 31 or 32 I show the internal slave setup. Now that I have more miles on the setup I can definitely tell you it's smooth and overall works fantastic. I know there are other options out there. But pricing everything up this seemed to be the best bang for your buck. Just my opinion. Best of luck with whatever you choose. :wave:

Ron I'm unclear what flywheel you ended up using in the end. Chris