60" Hi-lift...too big???

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
CJ-8.com Member
City
richmond
State
va
I've got a 48" hi-lift and have the opportunity to swap it for a 60" cast one.

Figured it might be a good idea since I am going to start running 38s whenever I get the jeep back together.

Just wondering if the 60' is too long and too cumbersome for the cj8. My 48" one fit well mounted to the diagonal leg of the stock rollbar (the leg that angled to the back of the tub).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the 60" is brand new, and my 48" was only used a few times.

Thanks!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Mine is a 60" and sits fine where I keep it. I don't think I've ever needed the top 12", but it's there if I do.

City
City
State
ZZ
Without restricting flex (by strapping the axle to the frame), my 48" jack tops out when lifting the back just after the 37" Bogger lifts off the ground. I'm SOA with RE 1.5" lift YJ SOA springs in the rear. I'd say get the 60" one.

Kaiser8

Designer
City
Aurora
State
IL
Mike,
The 60" may be a pain to store but I say get it.
Out in Moab this year I was on Pritchett when my rear coil unseated and jammed itself in the bumpstop going up Rockerknocker. I pulled my 48" highlift and it wasn't tall enough to lift the frame off of the coil. Had to stack rocks as a base for the jack, very unstable and VERY unsafe. It worked but I was as far away from the Jeep as I could get while seating the coil (using a big stick :rolleyes: )
If you can find room for it, get it.
Mike

crash

Mad Scientist
City
Gold BAr
State
WA
WildTurkeycj8 said:
thanks guys, I'll try and make the swap with the guy.
You have made a wise choice Grasshopper :D

I had a 60" too but I had to lop a little off to get it to fit the new rig. But I also have limiting straps so it doesn't take much to get a tire off the ground(or I chain the axle).