700R4 broken bellhousing repair

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Does the corner of the bellhousing that broke off of the 700R4 in attached pics look repairable to anyone? Seems to me a skilled welder could glue this back together. I'm considering buying this trans for my project.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
A skilled welder should have no problem with that. I would suggest bolt the tranny to a bare block, bolt the piece on, and go to town. Use the bare block as a Jig. Don't get the case too hot, wouldn't want to fry any seals. I have had a manual trans bellhousing welded before, it broke into 3 pieces! (Don't make a practice of jumping your S-10! :D )

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
It's cast Aluminum correct? You could have someone heliarc it for you, the only problem you might run into down the road is that it will crack again right next to where you had it welded. The heat might make the surrounding area brittle. You could also talk to a trans shop and see what they would charge you transfer the guts of your trans into a new case...

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Don't know why it couldn't be welded,i've seen alum motor blocks and heads welded up with no problem-JC

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Cool, looks like I'm going to try to buy this trans. It is cast aluminum so I would definitely have the repair done by a professional welding/machine shop. The plan would be to mate this trans to a stroked six with a Novak adapter plate so I figure I could just buy the adapter ahead of time and give it to the shop performing the work to make sure the repaired bellhousing lines up perfectly with the adapter.

BurntOrange

Hook 'em Horns!
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Possible score! I won the auction for this tranny. It's a TCI Truck Master 700R4 4x4, brand new never used. It was damaged before installation and the customer wanted it replaced so the shop had to replace it. TCI sells these for $1960.80 new without torque converter. I got it for $510. Only issue I have to figure out (other than repairing bellhousing) is with the rear output shaft. It has the longer 2"+ style and I intend to bolt it to a GM NP203 rangebox so I'll either have to use the longer NP208 style adapter which adds some drivetrain length or swap the output shaft on the 700R4 for the shorter 7/8" stickout TH350 shaft. I sure hope this thing works, TCI trannies are supposed to be some of the best out there, on par with Art Carr and such.

Thanks guys for the feeback on repairing the bellhousing. If it doesn't work out I won't hold it against you - for long!

-Brian