8.8 ford matched with?

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
I am replacing the narrow track axles in my 81. I already own a 95 explorer disc brake 8.8. I am not having easy luck determining my front axle though. I am not planning on out perching my front springs. What have others done? The explorer 8.8 is 59.5 wms I believe. Chris

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
This doesn't answer your inquiry but what are you doing about the wheel bolt pattern? Adapter? Custom axles and different disks? Never seen a 8.8 swapped in a CJ, usually see them going into pre JK Wrangler, XJ/MJ.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Most common seems to be a shortened Waggy d44 or fully custom or 1 tons....

I think if you are-not out-boarding; you will end up needing to modify the tube/axle lengths on both sides (I think this is where I'll end). I have a shackle reversal kit that is super heavy duty; which means out-boarding is out unless I want to completely re-do my front end...

If you keep the spring hanger the same; my perception is that a D44 pumpkin is slightly larger than a 30; and the DS will angle towards the center slightly. Might cause issue or require a better DS... Not sure...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If you narrow a J-truck or Chief front 44, you can go to a width that works with the CJ frame (27.5”) and end up at a finished width of about 61”, if I recall. It’s not difficult to do.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
If you narrow a J-truck or Chief front 44, you can go to a width that works with the CJ frame (27.5”) and end up at a finished width of about 61”, if I recall. It’s not difficult to do.
61 is exactly where I want to be on width.... I'm measuring that I need 17" from WMS to the outer edge of the leaf spring (currently).

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Thank you John. I'm not very savvy in Jeep axle specs. I'll do some research on widths of different J trucks. Chris

BDCCLARK

LIFETIME
City
gravois mills
State
MO
Is that only shortening the long side or both? Chris