• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

81 2.5l 151 Engine

Okiez

City
Newberry
State
FL
I am putting something back together that I did not take apart. I have replaced the head on it due to having a cracked head and now the issue is the rocker arms are walking the way off the valve springs. I had torqued everything down to spec and still having the issue. I have been told that there are push rod guides for this engine, I cannot find them anywhere at all. Or I have also been told I need rocker arm bridges. Same thing I cannot find any parts that fit what I have. Any help would be so much helpful.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 9

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
It shouldn't "need" either of those things. I'm curious if something is up with the valve stems, the lifters or the lash. Are the valve stems straight and are the tops flush and square? If they are worn funny on the tips it can cause rocker walk. Same with the rocker surface itself. What the the pushrods look like? Are they smooth and round on each end? Something has to be off kilter to force the rockers sideways. The nature of their motion alone shouldn't promote any walking unless something is implementing lateral movement.

Okiez

City
Newberry
State
FL
It shouldn't "need" either of those things. I'm curious if something is up with the valve stems, the lifters or the lash. Are the valve stems straight and are the tops flush and square? If they are worn funny on the tips it can cause rocker walk. Same with the rocker surface itself. What the the pushrods look like? Are they smooth and round on each end? Something has to be off kilter to force the rockers sideways. The nature of their motion alone shouldn't promote any walking unless something is implementing lateral movement.
Everything looks to me as you described. Smooth round no worn flat spots. I am at a total loss. If anyone is in Central to North Florida. Let me know Ill bring it to you to have a look at and maybe I can get this thing on the road.