• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 Jeep Jamboree - New Clutch Install Questions

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Hello All:

After getting under "my new" Jamboree I have noticed several very slow oil leaks ( engine to tranny, oil pan, ect.) I plan to replace gaskets. While I am doing this, why not replace clutch and oil pump. Any recommendations on clutches? I have read some have installed Centerforce clutches. I want a quality clutch but don't want real heavy clutch pedal pressure. Also, I found that the bell crank on the clutch linkage is very sloppy. I have ordered a new linkage kit but have entertained going to a hydraulic linkage. Anyone have experience with this switch? Pros/Cons?

One last thing. When I am in 2nd gear, I notice a fast clicking sound. I have put pressure on the stick shift in all directions, while driving, and the sound stays the same. Any suggestions on what it could be?

I have a stock drive-train (258 with T-5 transmission).

Thanks for your time in advance!

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
FYI:

The odometer reads 130,000. I do not know if it the original clutch or not. It does seem to operate ok at the present time

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Have you done clutches before? The gaskets and seals are one thing, the clutch is another ball of wax entirely.

Bell crank sloppy? Clickety sound in second gear? Might be your throw out bearing. Might be low fluids, or a dinged gear? Does it ease up a bit if you loosely depress the clutch? Might need some travel adjustment.

You can spend a lot of money on a Quadratec clutch, but the truth is they aren't worth the added expense over a quality kit from LuK: http://www.amazon.com/LuK-01-017-Clutch-Set/dp/B000CIAV7C just looking up the kit you'll see some reviews for the centerforce kit, things like "you'll never replace your clutch again." guess what, most clutches, including the OEM one, will last you 150k or so. Imagine where you'll be when you've put 150k on your jamboree.

Pretty sure that's the right kit, but do your research to be sure. You may also consider getting your flywheel resurfaced if you go in there.

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I have a Centerforce 2 in my tan CJ. It works good, but can't tell that it works any better than the stock clutch. I'll go with a LUK clutch next time. Cheaper and from what I've seen, just as good.

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Have you done clutches before? The gaskets and seals are one thing, the clutch is another ball of wax entirely.

Bell crank sloppy? Clickety sound in second gear? Might be your throw out bearing. Might be low fluids, or a dinged gear? Does it ease up a bit if you loosely depress the clutch? Might need some travel adjustment.

You can spend a lot of money on a Quadratec clutch, but the truth is they aren't worth the added expense over a quality kit from LuK: http://www.amazon.com/LuK-01-017-Clutch-Set/dp/B000CIAV7C just looking up the kit you'll see some reviews for the centerforce kit, things like "you'll never replace your clutch again." guess what, most clutches, including the OEM one, will last you 150k or so. Imagine where you'll be when you've put 150k on your jamboree.

Pretty sure that's the right kit, but do your research to be sure. You may also consider getting your flywheel resurfaced if you go in there.

I have a buddy that owns a auto-body repair / mechanic shop that will be doing the work for me. I would defiantly have the flywheel resurfaced. I changed out the fluid and filled with Pennzoil Syncromesh, still have sound in 2nd gear. I have not tried lightly depressing the clutch. I do have about 1" to 1.5" of free pedal before to starts to tightens up. I will try it asap. If it does make a difference, what would that tell me? Sounds like I should just go with a Luk style clutch. IF it is looks ok when they break it down, should I go ahead and replace? Seems logical to do so. Or, go with "if it aint broke, don't fix it" approach?

Still up in the air regarding going with the hydraulic linkage. Probably should just stay with the mechanical upgrade that showed up today.

Thanks for your replies/comments

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Once it's torn apart, you might as well replace the clutch.

I've been very happy with Luk clutches.

The mechanical linkage is fine, especially if you're installing new parts, and sticking with the stock drivetrain.

Have fun! :thumbsup:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Agree on the mechanical - they are so hassle free and you can adjust them with a wrench. No leaking parts to worry about :)

And good you have a friend with a shop - full steam ahead. Transmissions and clutches are my least favorite backyard jobs. It's worth replacing if you're going through the trouble.

If you press the clutch slightly and the sound goes away, it could mean your clutch is a little out of adjustment or your throw out bearing needs replacing. Your new clutch kit should come with a replacement (greasable but you won't be able to grease it externally anyway) as well as a new pilot bearing. May as well replace them all :)