82 scrambler assembly from scratch

City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I inherited an 82 completely disassembled with parts scattered all over my uncle's garage. Does anyone know of any printed material which tells you how to put it all back together in a logical order?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Welcome and good luck with the project. Can you post any pictures of the adventure you have ahead of you?
Might help if you can find a complete Jeep to use as a guide. A CJ7 would be fine (and much cheaper)since there is not much different and any difference you could find help with on this site when you get to that point. How is the frame and body? Much rust/rot?

City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Got a lot of good stuff to work with. TDK frame with front shackle reverse, chevy motor mounts. Fairly fresh SBC. Ford 9" axles on both ends with rear discs off a Lincoln. New Painless wiring harness. Fast EFI Throttle body still in the box. Body repaired and painted by local shop - still a few minor wrinkles on driver's side firewall. Just finished Herculiner in bed and cab floor. Had to have bungs welded into rollbar for shoulder belts. Minor repair and paint needed on half-cab hardtop. Upgrading to YJ windshield frame. My first Jeep was a 78 CJ5 I bought new from the PX while stationed in Germany. Got assigned to Panama in '85 and got my hands on a 1980 CJ6. Had a real active 4WD club down there. Twice a month we would load up the kids and dogs and head for the beach or into the jungle. I know my way around CJs fairly well, I was just looking for a logical reassembly order. There is a Scrambler not too far away that has been up on blocks for a couple of years. I stopped by once to look at it and the first words out of the owner's mouth was "It's not for sale." After the Stay-in-Place order goes away I'll see if he will at least let me look at it and take some pics. Love the classic looks of a stock Scrambler but I'm just trying to build a solid, reliable vehicle to take advantage of my Colorado adventures.

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Hard to give any valuable advice without pics. But if it is completely apart...I would square away the mechanical stuff starting on getting the frame accessories all bolted in place. Motor, xmission, rears, steering gear, fuel/brake system. Nice to play on a rolling frame without the body on. If you have the capabilities, the body can be raised/lowered onto the frame now and then to help make sure stuff fits and there is no interference issues. Also sounds like you know what you got laying around. Figure out what is missing so you can start looking for it now. Always helps to know a fair price when you aren't in a rush.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Might help if you can find a complete Jeep to use as a guide. A CJ7 would be fine (and much cheaper)since there is not much different and any difference you could find help with on this site when you get to that point.
100%. This is a great way to see how it goes together, have all the right bolts and small parts. Part it out as you go keeping the nicer part.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If you head over to the complete build section there are many threads from excellent builders.

Raymond, Dennis, Randy, Craig, Dustin, Jason, Mike, etc... the list can go on forever it seems.

With the info in those builds, you should have no trouble putting one back together. If you get stuck, there are many knowledgeable people here willing to give (excellent) advice on how to proceed.

Only trouble will be getting caught up in the “it could be better if I make this one small upgrade“ rabbit hole.

finorman

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
ORLANDO
State
FL
Got a lot of good stuff to work with. TDK frame with front shackle reverse, chevy motor mounts. Fairly fresh SBC. Ford 9" axles on both ends with rear discs off a Lincoln. New Painless wiring harness. Fast EFI Throttle body still in the box. Body repaired and painted by local shop - still a few minor wrinkles on driver's side firewall. Just finished Herculiner in bed and cab floor. Had to have bungs welded into rollbar for shoulder belts. Minor repair and paint needed on half-cab hardtop. Upgrading to YJ windshield frame. My first Jeep was a 78 CJ5 I bought new from the PX while stationed in Germany. Got assigned to Panama in '85 and got my hands on a 1980 CJ6. Had a real active 4WD club down there. Twice a month we would load up the kids and dogs and head for the beach or into the jungle. I know my way around CJs fairly well, I was just looking for a logical reassembly order. There is a Scrambler not too far away that has been up on blocks for a couple of years. I stopped by once to look at it and the first words out of the owner's mouth was "It's not for sale." After the Stay-in-Place order goes away I'll see if he will at least let me look at it and take some pics. Love the classic looks of a stock Scrambler but I'm just trying to build a solid, reliable vehicle to take advantage of my Colorado adventures.
Small world... I lived in Gamboa in 76, passed through Clayton (stationed in Honduras) in 88, back to Panama in late 89 and then stationed in Panama from 92-95. I had my YJ down there then... lots of opportunities to 4wd, just don't get caught up in those flash rain storms or rising tide of the Pacific side. If I recall the tide rose something like 16 feet.