• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'83 Scrammbler build

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
For those of you that have used the astro pitman arm what year should I look for? Been searching through threads and cannot find any specifics for years. Any help would be appreciated.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Thank you for the info. I was working on putting the borgeson steering shaft in today. I am running into some difficulty with getting it onto the steering gear. The steering shaft I have is for power steering. I did install a PSC steering gear. I did remove the set screws completely when trying to put it on. I just wanted to ask if anyone else had any trouble with this. Did not want to start tapping it on with hammer before I asked.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Good news. I was able to take the coupler that attaches to the steering gear and with a little wiggle and hand pressure it will fit.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Jeep 13.jpg
Made a little progress today. The steel shims that I ordered came in and I was able to mount the rear axle.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Awesome! I dig the look of the wrap with that color top and doors too :cheers:

Always great to see another Michigan Scrambler! Get it up and running and then come out to the Sand Blast event we have in late July/early August each year at Silver Lake. This year will be the 11th and it's always a great time with great families and great Scramblers. You should be set up perfectly for playing in the sand :smokin:

Check the event thread in the Midwest forum :thumbsup:

Keep up the great work.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Thanks Big Walton. The wrap was done well but it starting to peel in spots. I ended up finding this scrambler in Lansing. The guy I got it from had got it from Texas and was getting ready to move back to Washington and did not want to move it. Couldnot believe my luck finding one that was not rusted out here in Michigan. I am hoping to make it to Silver lake this year but I may have annual training scheduled that month.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Was able to get some time to work on the jeep today. Was able to place the adapter on the transfer case and able to mount it.
Jeep 14.jpg

Jeep 15.jpg

Jeep 16.jpg

It is a close fit to the AX 15 but looks like everything should clear.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
Jeep 21.jpg
Jeep 18.jpg
jeep 17.jpg
Jeep 19.jpg
Jeep 20.jpg
It has been awhile since I updated my build thread. Things have been busy lately with changing jobs and training for a bike race. I have been able to install the borgeson steering shaft. Took a little work but finally got it. Also installed a new poser steering pump. Will have to see once fenders are installed if need to bend return port to clear. It is right underneath the steering shaft. Started working on wiring and cleaning out wiring not needed on engine side of the bulkhead. Also started working on the wiring under the dash. Still a lot of work to do there. After reading a few other builds I decided to bite the bullet and got the tool to do heather pack connectors. Makes a much nicer connection than other methods.

Husker fan

Legacy Registered User
City
Caro
State
MI
2018 bike race.jpg
A picture of the starting line from Mud, sweat, and beers up in Traverse City. Race was 25 miles long and was a lot of fun.
I am happy with the wheel spacers that I got. Had them made by US wheel adapters. They are custom made for the rims that I have. The Dana 44 that I had picked up was 55 inches from WMS to WMS. Wanted a little wider. The spacers make it 59 inches WMS to WMS. I have the rear set built to 57 WMS WMS. From what I had read you want about 1.5 to 2 inch difference from front to back. I hope I got that right