• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

84 Australian Overlander frame off restomod

The Buzzcutter

Basic User
City
Brisbane
State
QL
I quite like this set-up, but have had no luck trying to locate anything in six stud pattern. Are those hub caps steel or plastic? Anyone have any information on size and the rim needed or better still leads on a set for sale?
C2D9EA94-44BD-46B3-B46B-D0E173494336.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I quite like this set-up, but have had no luck trying to locate anything in six stud pattern. Are those hub caps steel or plastic? Anyone have any information on size and the rim needed or better still leads on a set for sale?
View attachment 71482

That’s @Jody and Dawn Abbot’s on here. Note that this Jeep has drive flanges in front and that’s why the dog dishes work. They’re actual
steel Jeep parts.

The Buzzcutter

Basic User
City
Brisbane
State
QL
That’s @Jody and Dawn Abbot’s on here. Note that this Jeep has drive flanges in front and that’s why the dog dishes work. They’re actual
steel Jeep parts.

Yeah I read the original thread on this by the PO, good spot on the drive flanges I hadn’t thought that far ahead

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Spotted! There is not a whole lot of information ‘on file’ for these older Jeeps with the state registration offices, therefore I am hoping to guide gaps in their knowledge with little hints. The emissions issue isn’t a concern as the replacement engine is much newer than the Jeep, (you can’t replace with an older engine) but there is a limit of 20% power increase when changing over. Therefore by hinting this came with a 360 V8 should mean the Ford in-line 6 will be waved through. In any case the full size 44 and AMC 20 would probably allow a greater power increase, just trying to avoid that level of inspections.

You crafty little man you. You're quick. Very quick!

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Unless the inspector is sharp enough to decode the VIN and see "C" means 258 I-6 engine. Hopefully the PO had engineering documents showing the 360 swap was approved.

Last edited:

The Buzzcutter

Basic User
City
Brisbane
State
QL
Dash out happy with the way these speedhut gauges look. Are there any off the shelf options for pushing the window demister trunking further back to allow better clearance for the top row gauges?
202CAF05-D75E-4F71-B8B5-61AA950E4B9B.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
What will you be using the temp gauge in the speedo for? You have a stand-alone water temp gauge? Using it for trans temp?

The Buzzcutter

Basic User
City
Brisbane
State
QL
What will you be using the temp gauge in the speedo for? You have a stand-alone water temp gauge? Using it for trans temp?

Yes that was one possibility, originally I had purchased the four gauges for a different project, when this build started I purchased the speedo. The original dash was cut for three gauges and I prefer the balanced look of the fourth.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Thanks, I am really pleased how they have turned out. Although I am struggling with wheel colour, can’t decide between black, white or chrome?
WOW! She turned out just beautiful. I love the factory decal pkg. ? I vote for factory chrome wheels, 2nd choice white. Definitely not black. Imo black wheels are so over done and don't do a Scrambler like yours justice.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Tested roof removal over the weekend. New wheels should arrive in the next day or two and then it’s off for drive train to be fitted

When you pull the top, do you swap the brackets to mount the tailgate cables?