• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'84 Postal - Do What?!?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Actually no. Those three parts look to have never been disassembled until I got to it. But you read my mind when it comes to rivnuts. I was thinking of doing them anyway. All in all the top is in amazing shape with the only exception being the dent right above the drivers seat.

There was evidence the top had been taken off as a unit at some point in its life. The foam was dug out around each bolt. However someone did a good job not damaging it - even retaining the rubber gasket that goes all around the top of the tub.
That gasket isn’t the key (I think the top overlap is more than enough to prevent water ingress, but it’s cool to have), it’s the one that’s between the top and the sides. It’s a hot damn mess to try to get back in right. Pay very close attention when you disassemble. I didn’t take nearly enough pictures and it never went back together 100% right, especially around the back door trim at the top.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
That gasket isn’t the key (I think the top overlap is more than enough to prevent water ingress, but it’s cool to have), it’s the one that’s between the top and the sides. It’s a hot damn mess to try to get back in right. Pay very close attention when you disassemble. I didn’t take nearly enough pictures and it never went back together 100% right, especially around the back door trim at the top.
Everything is apart and I feel like I took the right pics to Reassemble but of course there will be that one shot that won’t show the right angle of something….

Last edited:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
picked up the body tub yesterday. all primary welding complete and some anti-rust slathered all over raw metal. now comes the fitment of top, doors, etc..

This will sit as-is for at least the next month due to vacation travel and finishing up the 401 swap I'm doing for a customer in the CJ7 in the background

Still exciting to continue down the path of this build

tub1.jpgtub2.jpgtub3.jpgtub4.jpgtub5.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Summer saw a halt to this project between trips to the coast and a customer project. Happy to report the customer project is complete so now back to the Postal.

Installed a 401 with FiTech efi, AX15, brake booster upgrade, twin sticks, Custom D44 axles, OME lift, and other do-dads on this 84 CJ7
5CEC05D4-D668-4750-A92F-C0A23F5C80EC.jpegA44FE932-69E9-4565-9E0A-8C835D2E9368.jpegBBE3DEE0-2FF9-4889-AC3F-97B985189B2B.jpegA26CF3BD-EA41-4DDE-BA47-8289D69AB237.jpeg8D2A6A10-2D6F-459D-B664-0446E23D9150.jpegBE75D022-2242-46F6-BD06-B0650536EA23.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Summer saw a halt to this project between trips to the coast and a customer project. Happy to report the customer project is complete so now back to the Postal.

Installed a 401 with FiTech efi, AX15, brake booster upgrade, twin sticks, Custom D44 axles, OME lift, and other do-dads on this 84 CJ7
View attachment 105448View attachment 105449View attachment 105450View attachment 105451View attachment 105452View attachment 105453
I need a new twin stick boot, which one do you like?

Jeep looks fantastic. I love a sleeper.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC

Thanks for the compliment. It’s an 84 that the guy bought used in 87.

All I know is I do NOT like the boot that came with this setup. Customer bought it. It’s Omix.

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

Look into Stronghold Shift Boots. I really like them. He will make one for whatever combination you have. I had one for a T-176 and Dana 300 twin stick (which is listed on his site), but after I switched the trans to an aw4, I just cut the trans boot off and run the rest for the twin stick. I wrote that somewhere and the owner replied saying to email him and he would make me one to be whatever dimensions I needed for just the twin sticks. I have not bothered yet.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
To give myself some additional room I put the engine/trans/tcase in the frame today. Trans mount is drying from paint as we speak.

Plan is to put the chassis back on top of the lift tomorrow and get the rotisserie down and mock up hard top on the tub and fingers crossed get all body panels to paint end of next week

B03B06B5-97C9-4EF9-833F-7A4966A8E25F.jpegF0B820E1-7176-4436-8C19-F3C24FC1B490.jpeg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Started getting final bits ready for sandblast and paint. Of all the CJs I have owned / worked on / parted out this windshield frame is in the top 5 for condition. It was SLATHERED in some sort of RTV everywhere which usually means trapped water and the rust. Not so much on this one. One small spot which is just surface rust

Now for the bad. This frame had a weird aluminum piece at the wipers. I figured either for support trying to move snow and ice OR it had damage. When I pulled it off I didn’t immediately see any damage and quickly smiled like a kid in a candy store. Then I took a better look. The infamous wallowed out holes. Oh well… in my opinion much easier fix than if the frame was all rusted out. I’ll take it. Whomever did the aluminum fix did a great job
3ED7EA5B-0563-4070-B4D4-76D1E221C3ED.jpeg09D36B92-62DB-41B6-BB1F-2E45655DD0A2.jpeg83E525BD-9E99-4BFE-8C8E-26710A67987E.jpegADD35912-ED39-45A8-8DDC-7D3A426B6CB8.jpeg971F0C5B-B216-4222-9BC5-11644CE842A5.jpeg9208D470-AA98-4651-BF2D-BAC2F053008A.jpeg