• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

'84 Postal - Do What?!?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Another personal build of mine that I have started making ground on is the '84 Postal I also picked up from a member here. I'll never forget the drive back from Cincy when I stopped at a remote gas station in the mountains of NC. Had a couple guys walk over to take a look at what I had on the trailer. One guy really caught my attention. Every time he saw something that made him scratch his head (right hand drive, the rear barn door, etc..) he quite loudly said "Do What?" I had fun explaining it all to him.

Some pics of it when it was posted for sale and after arriving at my home. Amazing that my wife still considers me sane after what I drag home from time to time..

IMG_2383.JPGIMG_2384.JPGIMG_2427.JPGIMG_2428.JPGIMG_2429.JPGIMG_2432.jpgIMG_2433.jpgIMG_2435.jpgIMG_2436.jpgIMG_2437.jpg

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I have since moved it to my shop for storage. I drive it around the yard weekly. Starts up every time. The "progress" I have made is deciding that the tub is too far gone to salvage. I have a Willys-Overland tub on the way. I will cut out the Postal RHD firewall and graft it onto the new tub. I also have a line on an original tub a couple hours away from me that if it turns out to not be swiss cheese I may use it instead. Time will tell. If I were to go that route I would keep the Willys tub for a future project.

Plans for the Postal are fairly simple. Will go back with original white with the white wheels, same BDS suspension set-up and 32s as my '83. Drivetrain will remain original with all rebuilt. For the interior I will go with blue seats (two front buckets and rear bench). So not a true restored Postal but one that could be done 100% original if me or someone wanted. I am considering it a build for myself but it would be available for sale when complete for the right price.

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I consider that postal to be “the one that got away”. If I hadn’t just bought the overlander and had my ‘82 in parts in the garage, I’d have bought that postal. Unfortunately, my better half did not want another project Jeep at the house, so it was not meant to happen. But, one day I will have a restored postal in my collection.

I’m gonna really enjoy watching this rebuild!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
@ag4ever

Now I feel bad. Ok Ok. To make this right I will load it up on my trailer and head your way. we'll just trade titles for the Overlander. No No, no need to thank me. :P

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
No need to feel bad, no really, no REALLY!

Not sure where the title is, think my wife must have hidden it. :D

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
The tub arrived this week at the shop. Initial impressions (while still crated) are what I expected them to be. Not perfect by any means but considering the alternative I feel the price and additional work needed was fair.
I did pick up another original tub shown in the Gladiator thread. I have some time to decide which one gets used on the Postal

357FEBC8-78EC-4BAB-884D-3DA8EBD9A58E.jpegEB1A8F2E-44AB-46E0-BF31-9791AFA749E7.jpeg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
if you’re going to run the World Cab, be ready to beef up the rear leafs.

overall :cheers:
Also, check the fit with the top and the aftermarket tub... those side rails in the older tubs I have seen/used were never quite right and the 1/2 tops didn't fit well without a lot of massaging.

cb

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Also, check the fit with the top and the aftermarket tub... those side rails in the older tubs I have seen/used were never quite right and the 1/2 tops didn't fit well without a lot of massaging.

I made that exact comment on his FB post as soon as I saw the tub :thumbsup:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I am leaning towards using the original tub I scored right after the purchase of the new tub. I like the idea that while it isn't the original tub it was made in the AMC factory. With either tub I have to cut out the firewall and re-use the original RHD one. Whichever route I go I will test fit the top on both and provide feedback and lots of pics.

Last edited:

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
If it were me and as owner of a MD Juan tub then i would just leave it in the crate ready for shipping to a new owner and use the AMC tub for your Postal.
1/2 cab wasn't a massive issue to make fit but a whole postal top that just sounds like a world of pain and misery to me....

Dont forget to drill a hole in the floor thats there for the emergency brake cable just next to the seat base when swapping over as well and good luck!

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
If it were me and as owner of a MD Juan tub then i would just leave it in the crate ready for shipping to a new owner and use the AMC tub for your Postal.
1/2 cab wasn't a massive issue to make fit but a whole postal top that just sounds like a world of pain and misery to me....

Dont forget to drill a hole in the floor thats there for the emergency brake cable just next to the seat base when swapping over as well and good luck!

I’ll keep the new tub for a future project. I have enough parts to build another Scrambler in storage.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I’ll keep the new tub for a future project. I have enough parts to build another Scrambler in storage.

Oops sorry BW, Adam maybe you had better try siting the postal top on it just for curiosity i am sure it will fit like a glove.......:whistle:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
For what it's worth, I've read here that the tub measurements were in fact a fraction of an inch out of spec in both directions - it might be worth checking because I'm sure there's a lot of variation. In my case, the tonneau fit pretty well, but the forward spreader bar took a little coaxing to sit in place.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Oops sorry BW, Adam maybe you had better try siting the postal top on it just for curiosity i am sure it will fit like a glove.......:whistle:

I'll test fit the Postal top on the new tub regardless if I use the tub for help for those with Postals or Overlanders. NO worries

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
yeah good idea and I second the opinions above....

MD Juan tubs belong on the bottom of the ocean they sailed across.