• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

85 buildup

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Ive got a lot done already but here is what Ive started with

Its an 85 Scrambler that I bought for my father in law. He has alway wanted a scrambler and we went through one already. Finally got a good one in this getup I bought.

specs

85 scrambler with the stock 258 mated a np 435 to a dana 300 t case and swapped in dana 44's with arb air lockers and 4.88 gears. My intention is to do a quick frame off clean up and fix any rust as I want this thing to last for a long time. Someday it will be mine so I want my kids to reap the benefits of a classic scrambler with close to show quality paint but still a cheap enough build to not break the bank.

I have a 87 chevy 305 that I am mildly building to help push the 37" Goodyear wranglers around. The guy that sold it to me had like 2 miles on the tires and axles.

Here are some pics, I will probably post up in 2 or 3 posts as I have a lot of pics and work already accomplished in the last 2 months.

IMG00008201003301753-1.jpg

IMG00009201003301754-1.jpg

305 out of the red parts rig
6c546610-1.jpg

58aa2945-1.jpg

Tear down

062fea5f-1.jpg

2bf0f70e-1.jpg

0d8a1c7c-1.jpg

c9329ad5-1.jpg

09e2873a-1.jpg

9e9e761f-1.jpg

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Rear dana 44 with disk brakes and arb.
2fb4ecab-1.jpg

8b9f6f8a-1.jpg

Ford nv435 1 ton tranny with granny low gear some serious beef.

e2c41ecb-1.jpg

aab0bb8d-1.jpg

And of course the dana 300 on the back, not a bad setup if we put 4-1 in the dana 300 someday.

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Here we go with the engine tear down, Its at the machine shop getting freeze plugs, heads worked, bored .30 over and rods machined. Not going full rotating balance so its not going to be a race horse but it will have a little warmer cam and heads after they put a smaller intake valve for torque. I figure about 260 horses and close to 300 ft/lbs of torque with over 200 of that from 1500 rpms.
Flat top pistons also, probably close to 10:1 compression after machining the heads. And for fun some timing gears cause I like the sound of the timing gears at 4000 rpms. That and tranny and t case gear reduction whine should make this thing sing like crazy. Cant wait to drive it.
ffe7254f-1.jpg

ad0dcb31-1.jpg

Little wear on the mains
ad0dcb31-1.jpg

5582fa9e-1.jpg

cf14e4e8-1.jpg

Heres a better one of the main bearings, must have got some dirt
3ad211bd-1.jpg

Last edited:

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
So while the engine is at the machine shop I turned my attention to the frame and body. Got the frame cleaned up(pain in the arse) and painted with some por 15 for now. Might go over it with some better uv protectant paint. And started rust repair on the body, lot bigger job then I hoped for.

Before
c3cc8049-1.jpg

a3d0c441-1.jpg

7e2cf35b-1.jpg

After

1da6276a-1.jpg

8d0affc2-1.jpg

a8d8b2ef-1.jpg

7e60bf14-1.jpg

3f9ca0ff-1.jpg

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Then the body, started by pulling dash and cleaning up all the unecessary wires and stupid cow seats that had nothing more than leaves covered in duct tape for padding.

0b9fa657-1.jpg

0b9fa657-1.jpg

9a549d60-1.jpg

f31f577b-1.jpg

And started assesing the rust

0eac831d-1.jpg

a646514b-1.jpg

Behind these was a whole can of worms, still fixable but a little hole turned into a big hole as soon as the welder tip touched the metal
8760ac18-1.jpg

e0e40709-1.jpg

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
And the typical seem rust
20468f73-1.jpg

The bed
66eb6314-1.jpg

The worst was the doors, they where yanked and broken and someone did a crappy job of trying at least they tried but that doesnt make my job any easier
1b6b0183-1.jpg

cbbf0cb9-1.jpg

cceef1aa-1.jpg

89de573c-1.jpg

Thats as far as Ive gotten, got my sisters wedding to go to then I sign on my new house as soon as I get back so for now it sits for a couple of weeks then I will hit it hard again. Trying to get it ready by the end of June, hopefully.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Nice work so far! At least you have a soild frame and good running gear to start with!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wow, when did you start in on this?? End of June? If I had one in that condition the only way it would be done by end of June is if it was next June, or a couple more Junes :D Great work!

What are the things bolted on top of the front corners of the frame? Tow hooks of some kind?? :confused:

Any chance you want to run 35s on this thing? I have the same wheel/lugnut/tire combo in 35" and looking to move to 37s :D

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Wow, when did you start in on this?? End of June? If I had one in that condition the only way it would be done by end of June is if it was next June, or a couple more Junes :D Great work!

What are the things bolted on top of the front corners of the frame? Tow hooks of some kind?? :confused:

Any chance you want to run 35s on this thing? I have the same wheel/lugnut/tire combo in 35" and looking to move to 37s :D

I bought it late march, I know I work fast, I have a very short attention span so I have to work hard and most of my projects only last for 3 or 4 months so I dont loose interest. My dads yj was a dana 44 swap, high steer, air locker, dual transfercase, custom exhaust, spring over on 37's took me about a month. When Im on it Im really on it. Yes they are tow hooks, kind of cheesy but it wont get wheeled to hard so they should be adequate.

I really like these 37's and I got a set of 33's for rollers for when my father in law wants to drive the street, so pretty happy with the setup I got.

Just got a call from the machine shop they got the engine all bored and rods machined and heads worked so I will probably get back to it first thing next week when I get back from my sisters wedding in cali.

Last edited:

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
I didn't know jeep made a "PARKING OPERATIONS" package.LOL(look at the hood)hehe.
Nice progress.

7jeeps7kings

Yah I thought that was kind of cool, must have been a ranger rig or something used for maintenance. I though about painting it back on but its not really mine to do what I want, yet.:D

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
On to the next phase. I spared you the bore of patching the panels and doing body work since it really doesnt change much.

Started by tuning my paint skills on the hard top, rocker panels and vent.

3b0e286b-1.jpg

fd85a128-1.jpg

847bdf3f-1.jpg

That was done last night. I came into the shop on a mission to get the rest of it painted minus doors, but I dont think Im going to make it. Here is the hood and front clip that I did get painted.

c49defb3-1.jpg

7c0b9b25-1.jpg

5d9a6189-1.jpg

c7c2d195-1.jpg

I also got the motor painted with the color yellow that will be the accents on the body for the jeep emblems, which is where the problems started, here are pictures of the motor then I will explain.

623c8e70-1.jpg

16d6b6c4-1.jpg

18630f13-1.jpg

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
So there is where I am at, the problem started though last night, I used the primer gun to spray the hard top and other stuff. It worked fine but I found out I was using the wrong gun and started using the paint gun this morning. The first thing I was going to paint was the jeep emblems yellow then back mask it and paint white over it. As soon as I started spraying the yellow something wasnt right. somehow some oil got into the tip and made quite a mess on my super clean prepped body. Ever since about noon when I sprayed it I have been fighting that oil. The old paint yould not come off. After cleaning it up really good I sprayed some primer and it just seperated and turned soft. I dont know why it wont clean off but its starting to get bad. So here is what the body still looks like.

ff0e9454-1.jpg

dd739a59-1.jpg

I might just need to take a break and let it set for a couple of hours then try and clean it up again and start over.

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
100 bucks a piece.:drool::crazy::confused:

By the way its an 83 scrambler, I dont know where I got 85

I figured out that I was just rushing it, I should have just sat down and waited for everything to dry. After I let it all settle, the primer cured and sanded out nicely, they yellow went on smooth and now it sits overnight so I can mask it tomorrow and spray the rest. Almost ready to put the dang thing together.

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Well got the motor put together last night, here are pictures of everything except all the pistons installed, it was late and I was done. Ill take some more later before I install the heads.

Before the goodies got put in

18630f13-1.jpg

The goodies

4355024a-1.jpg

82b70052-1.jpg

The cam installed. This is supposed to be a torquer cam you can deffinetely tell by the rise of the lobes. Should still idle pretty good though since its not a very long duration.

7c2e9473-1.jpg

The crank installed

7451e878-1.jpg

I got everything else internal done last night but like I said I was tired. I should be able to get the heads, timing gears, oil pan and intake on tonight. Then all I have to do is figure out how the np435 in going to mate up to it and I should set right into the frame rails.

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
I got the engine all together and worked on painting it last night. The scheme is going to be canary yellow and white valve covers to match the body. Then the entire engine bay will be painted black to set off the engine. Here is the engine and the first look at the Jeep insignia on the side also accented in yellow.

ede746f5-1.jpg

d1dd3fdb-1.jpg

4bad30c1-1.jpg

92d7dc5b-1.jpg

I feathered the rear in a little bit as you can see the yellow water underneath and it really turns out pretty clean after some time, the sides arent cleaned up yet as you can probably tell. Its looking clean for just a simple 120 dollar paint job.

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Alright on to stage 2,386

Got the engine done and installed, it looks cool, I may talk my father in law into sticking some chrome valve covers on it eventually.

So I dont like to tell stories I would rather let the pictures do the talking, so here you go.

d731ca2e-1.jpg

82bb234f-1.jpg

32038eee-1.jpg

Getting a bath
9c193df2-1.jpg

d9e2c957-1.jpg

We have ignition
87d9cdbf-1.jpg

54c7c258-1.jpg

0fe06a9a-1.jpg

This is one heavy setup to be moving around by myself
0fe06a9a-1.jpg

0fd0d0ab-1.jpg

jeepin6824

Basic User
City
Pueblo
State
co
Painted and ready to install, just need a clutch
693d1a06-1.jpg

And **** I forgot a fatal piece good thing I cleaned up before I started installing the engine, this is the drive for the oil pump, it goes in between the distributor and oil pump. I installed the pump first thinking I could drop it down through the top but no go and I forgot it after I installed the distributor, so off came to pan and the oil pump to get installed.

816eb1ca-1.jpg

That was close

Got the engine set in there for now
d06f6809-1.jpg

54211df1-1.jpg

Since this is a chevy bellhousing and Ford transmission I had to drill 2 new holes to mount the bell housing, the upper holes just had to be oblonged to fit the bellhousing but lowers had to be drilled and tapped.
c05f27d3-1.jpg

Put on the shocks just for grins to see how it looked
88d60939-1.jpg

8819820b-1.jpg