• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

86 Scrambler...Unicorn

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Buddy of mine found a Grey origional paint Scrambler titled as 86.

It's lived its whole life in dry West, TX.

Had engine fire, so was parked early with 60K miles.

Got the AMC 20 rear.

Has a 86 EVER been found?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I don't think one's ever been confirmed. I think the rear axle is a crapshoot on 86 CJs. Did he go see it and get pics? ;)

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
86 Vin#

He bought it.... came with origional window sticker and sales invoice in glove box !

2 owners, was bought in Odessa, TX 11-12-85

In my excitement forgot to type Vin# 1JCCF88EXFT157664

It's a Scrambler SR, absolutely no rust, not even dented.

Origional grey paint is bad faded from 20 years of sun.

No "Scrambler" decal on hood.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The "F" in the 10th spot is for an 85. But I think that's part of the mystery and many think that the 86s were actually 85 VINs, titled as 86s or something like that.

The original sticker should be cool to see! Sounds like an awesome find!

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
anyone run VIN #'s ?

He's wanting a beater :eek: I explained to him that this could be important history of the Scrambler.

I didn't think that an 86 had ever been confirmed or actually found.
Remember that supposedly the last 128 that were built in 85 were re-titled as 86's.

Maybe not "priceless" kind of deal, but a rare bird indeed.

Anyway, I convinced him that he should sell this one and find another with proceeds.
Also convinced him not to monkey with it at ALL...until we could confirm 85 or 86.

So....Someone run the VIN #, all my books are buried, can't even walk around in shop.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Sequential #

I don't think that's going to help, we need VIN Sequential #'s where does 157664 fit in the production builds.

Did Jeep keep records on CJ-7 & CJ-8 or lump all CJ's into the sequential build #'s. ??

I'm thinking I've seen info in a book somewhere.... but never been real interested until now.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
The AMC 20 does not surprise me.

At one of the Camp Jeeps here in Va. I had been talking with one of the engineers who had been working back during that time and it appears that in early 86' they realized that the factory did not have enough AMC 20's to finish out there orders for CJ's and the new owners did not want to put in a big order for what would be an obsolete rear end.

They discussed with Dana and got a short run of 44's custom for the wide track CJ width, as they were willing ot do a shorter run. So it is only those CJ's made in the last half of the run that got the Dana 44 in them.

Being that the Unicorns were built is the first part of the model year is stands to reason that they never got the 44.

Sorry that I did not get the name of the engineer, but that was back when I was first getting more serious into Jeeps.

Carl

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
Not that it's definitive, but Carfax says it’s an 85

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/check_order.cfm?VIN=1JCCF88EXFT157664&PopUpStatus=0

Don’t have an account so I can’t really see more than that

I’ve never seen a book that had a breakdown of the actual VIN Sequential #'s, but would love to see one. However, last year I started debating dumping my rust bucket and picking up a better one. I’m not in a hurry and I starting watching different online auctions. I saved pictures and info to help me get a feel for what things were worth and the features that I want. Anyways, I have info on three 85’s all with higher sequential numbers. Not that’s a great sample, but here are the numbers:

1. 1JCCF88E6FT169052
2. 1JCCF88E5FT177921
3. 1JCCF88E8FT184846

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Unsolveable...Unicorn

Just got email from retired Jeep engineer.

He basically said that Jeep had 1985 production built CJ-8's, that dealers did not take, as CJ-8 weren't exactly flying off the sales floor.

Whatever was left around Toledo were just re-titled and sold as 86 models. So not necessarily in sequential build order.

He can't remember if they put a new data plate showing "G" in the VIN or not.

He said in 85-86 records by Jeep were kept, but that would be only way to solve this mystery.

The window sticker, build sheet shows 85 on this Scrambler.

It being sold November 85 when the 86's were already out really doesn't mean much either.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
sounds like the same old jeep games.
kind of like a friend of mine owns a 1996 yj!
Which they stop making the the jeep yj and almost
stop production on the jeep wrangler all together in mid 1995
and then later redesigned and came out with the jeep
tj in 1997(as we all know). But all the vin numbers and window sticker in his
yj wrangler show that it's a 1995. but his title shows 1996! so rare odd ball jeep
yes! Same old slap it together and sell, whatever it takes motto! JEEP!
And as far as the amc 20 rear end in a 1986 cj; thats common. Plus the kicker; I heard
or read something some where that jeep was actually exporting jeep cj's with dana 44 to
other countries the whole time they were selling us jeep cj's with amc 20's in the usa!what the f?
As far as being a jeep fan I think it pays to live in other countries to get the god stuff: diesel engines, hd trannys, hd rear axles...

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
List of the 128 retitled as 86

Only way to solve this debate once and for all.... would be a list of the VIN#'s that were retitled as 86's.

I don't know if that can ever be released to the public.

12 months of 12K miles warranty.....LOL.

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
sounds like the same old jeep games.
kind of like a friend of mine owns a 1996 yj!
Which they stop making the the jeep yj and almost
stop production on the jeep wrangler all together in mid 1995
and then later redesigned and came out with the jeep
tj in 1997(as we all know). But all the vin numbers and window sticker in his
yj wrangler show that it's a 1995. but his title shows 1996! so rare odd ball jeep
yes! Same old slap it together and sell, whatever it takes motto! JEEP!
And as far as the amc 20 rear end in a 1986 cj; thats common. Plus the kicker; I heard
or read something some where that jeep was actually exporting jeep cj's with dana 44 to
other countries the whole time they were selling us jeep cj's with amc 20's in the usa!what the f?
As far as being a jeep fan I think it pays to live in other countries to get the god stuff: diesel engines, hd trannys, hd rear axles...

Have a look under the hood of your buddies YJ. Check the emissions sticker, it will say what model year the emissions meet.

As far as a Dana 44 in the 1986 CJ...AFAIK those equipped with a T5 had them, those with autos had Model 20s.

Last edited: