• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

87 J20

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Well I'm getting tired of CJ's and really enjoying finding stuff for the Gladiator.:shrug:
Check out what guy in Moab did to a 2 door FSJ Cherokee....Hemi:)
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

The Gladiator is taking me forever as I'm way too much of a perfectionist with my Jeeps. And parts from late 60's are hard to hunt down, but cheap when you find them.

Knew about this truck for some time....but it was in Alaska... couldn't stand it any longer that there was a Red origional paint Jeep plus I was ready to have a Jeep Truck to drive.....
(hear that new owner's of Chrysler....sell the Jeep brand...it's the most profitable)

Anyway...J20

Low miles, 8400 GVW, rare truck topper, and boat rack, Jeep bed mat....
owner was fly-in-vacation home fisherman and really decked Truck out.
Last year of production 87 and one of 639.
Pioneer, all options except cruise control.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/photo.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/178_7825_1.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/jeep3.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/jeep2.jpg

Great tow machine....
Going to lift it 6" regear the D44 / D60 to 4:56's and Gearvendors overdrive.
And although the 360 has some grunt.......needs a 401. :) but just going to drive & enjoy it for while.....before I take it apart...::eek:

Looking for Warn or Ramsey "above" the factory bumper winch mounting kit.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
That's a nice looking truck...the last of them made. How many miles?

How far did you have to trailer it?

BTW, my '67 also has a 8400 GVW...and it's red. :)

Last edited:

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
AK to TX

MarknessMonster said:
That's a nice looking truck...the last of them made. How many miles?

How far did you have to trailer it?

BTW, my '67 also has a 8400 GVW.

36K.

Well... tried to talk Racin Rudy into going to pick it up for me.....:D :eek:

I wimped out....too much of an adventure.... and just had DAS ship it to their port.

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Very Cool Find!!! Love the Jeep pickups!!

You gotta meet the guy who built the FSJ in the thread you posted. He's quite a guy. He's an engineer at Chrysler and he and his co-worker were responsible for bringing the Rubicon to market. They have amazing CJ's -- they're both equipped like the original Rubis -- that's how they sold the concept. Anyhow, got to see his project early in progress and bought the 360 previously in the Chief from him. Anyhow, never saw it finished. Thanks for posting the tread.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Jim

I've talked to Jim on phone couple times. Really nice guy and just from talking with him....Jeep is very lucky to have him and buddies as employee!!!!!
Don't find that type of dedication to a Job ...nowdays.

Gave him some parts for the Yellow FSJK...as he gave me a lead on a 40 year old NOS A/C kit for Gladiator...

A/C was "rare" in 60's guess folks were tougher back then.
The kit Jim found me is one of my most treasured NOS finds.

A FSJ J-truck, in good condition is harder to find than a CJ.
They were used as DD and worked hard...and also were the best in snow and ice...so most were sold in rust belt and have rotted away.

They're currently relatively cheap to buy...but I think the FSJ Jeep Trucks and 2 door Cherokee's will appreciate....well better than stock market.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
NICE TRUCK!
I found a '86 J-20 with 36k on it, pretty clean, but I was just laid off, made a low offer and pissed the old guy owner off and he didn't want to talk to me after that, still wish i could have bought it.

Last edited:

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Big Walton....FSJ

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Due to long thread, 33 page's, may want to read it in reverse.

Originally Posted by bigwalton
I just found this thread today from a post by Red Mistress over on the Scrambler board. One of the most enjoyable evenings of internet Jeep reading ever. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Amazing build and incredible thanks to you for the detail and photos, even during the last thrash to get it ready. Simply incredible

As to the fact that it was a Mopar-supported build, I feel like I have to comment....

THANK YOU MOPAR!

I can understand what some folks are saying but I have NEVER been more proud of Jeep, Mopar and Chrysler and the fact that all my vehicles are Jeeps.

THIS IS EXACTLY the kind of thing that American automakers should be pushing!

THIS IS EXACTLY the kind of thing that us Jeep enthusiasts--who consider Jeeps and laboring on our rigs a vital part of who we are--are always asking for!

THIS IS EXACTLY why Mopar and Jeep are miles apart from the competition when it comes to people who are PASSIONATE about the brands, the products and the lifestyle, not just folks that drive one and like to wear the logo on their shirt and hats and talk crap to the other side.

Would you have preferred that they just sit on the build, show up in Moab, and have a couple pages and a handful of photos of it in a magazine? Heck no! I'm rather shocked that he got away with having the build thread at all given the PR possibilities/limitations. It EXCITES me to NO END that this could become a trend to FINALLY take advantage of this thriving Jeep community, namely the forums all over the internet, to show more of just this type of thing!

THIS IS EXACTLY the spirit and direction we need to see more of from the automakers if they're going to come back from this crap situation and the fact that a bunch of guys took on something like this just to show it can be done and to help promote the Jeep brand we all love gives me the first real HOPE I've had about the future of Jeep in a loooong time.

And the fact that it was something as cool as an FSJ... that's just the icing on the cake. I'm a Scrambler guy myself (had and sold an FSJ I wish I still had though) and I could only WISH that this crew would take on something like this on a Scrambler and post such an awesome build thread over on cj-8.com. Y'all got to watch this awesome build day-by-day. You're all the envy of this Jeep guy, I only wish I'd known about it sooner.

I don't know any of the folks involved here (though I'm in SE MI and would LOVE to come to any meet and greet where the Jeep/team might be assembled!!!), I don't have anything to do with Jeep or Mopar and this isn't a slam on anyone who was put off by the Mopar connection coming up when it did, I just had to throw out some thoughts that popped into my head when I got to that part...

Now back to your regularly scheduled, incredibly awesome, build thread

Thanks for the note of encouragement....for Jim....and co-workers.
U really summed up the MOPAR sponsored build.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI

Thought someone needed to speak up to say something about the flip side of the coin that those folks were talking about, being disappointed about it being a sponsored build.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
FSJ's

Well few weeks ago....went hunting for Gladiator parts...cross country a 3900 mile Journey.
Timing was perfect for me, Daughter was at Disney World and wife wasn't so big from pregnacy....my last horaa for a while.

Anyway, had to see the Yellow Short Bus in person and see my parts installed.;)
The magazine photo's just don't do it justice.:bow::bow:
And the 6.1 with 4:11's is a wild ride, no CJ can drive thru all that power...FSJ to take HP on street.
We went to a local car show, and guess alot of the hot rodders (Detroit guys) subscribe to 4x4 magazines...they all knew the FSJK.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02342.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02342.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02327.jpg

Jim is one heck of a nice Jeeper, nice family.
I'm proud of the Lunatic Fringe Jeep employees.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Drat, you were in our neck of the woods! Should have had a gathering, I know I'd have really tried to make it to that show to see the Bus in person and to meet you.

And how awesome is that shirt??? ;)

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Schedule

I would of enjoyed meeting more Scrambler owners, however...

I had alot of miles with only 7 days of schedule, and 4 different NOS stashes to check out on cross country journey. As it was... I drove all night 2 different times.

Trip was sort of a last minute kind of deal as wasn't sure if I wanted to leave wife being pregnant and all....but she wanted me to go:wave:...so off I went. :crazy:

The main reason I made the journey was to pick up this priceless sign:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02375.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02422.jpg

No way I would trust the Willys Overland sign to a shipper.

I wouldn't trust this glass sign to just anyone, and had asked Racin Rudy about picking it up when I met him delivering the AZ Gladiator I bought for the bed. Funny... Rudy called last week (after I had just got back) about delivering a Jeep he sold/bought.

Jersey Joe had built me a crate last winter for another AMC era sign that U could of crawled a Jeep over and not hurt the sign.

Was a really productive trip, met some old timers, exchanged uber rare old parts...stuff that's so rare it has no market.
Found a overdrive for the D20 for Gladiator, Whitco Longbed convertible bed topper, and bunch of stuff for my next Jeep project a Willys PU.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sure, I understand, I was just saying I would have tried to get to that show, which you were already attending. I can imagine you were on an insane schedule.

Awesome sign... that's flat out cool right there!

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Car show

Well the car show wasn't planned....I drove 18 hrs on first day and got from TX to almost OH before a Hooters sign stopped me...passed out in the truck in parking lot...woke up early & off to Detroit....so with hours of daylight....traced down a electric fan relay problem and off we went.

It's a heck of a ride, dropping the hammer and sliding around corners on street... :eek::smokin:

He's running Borla's...which I really like the "throuty" but not loud sound.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
THE Best FSJ Guy turned Scrambler

Figured I'd post a FSJ buddy on this thread that builds awesome Jeeps.
(Same quality as the Yellow 2 door Cherokee).
He's from Belgium and just bought his first Scrambler.

Bought it off eBay...Flew into Florida and driving it thru FL, LA, TX then to CO to pick up FSJ J Truck then to Moab & CA.

DSC02632-1.jpg

He's got alot of bling to remove and knowing Dan, he'll strip it back and do complete frame off....still the Scrambler is way better than a rent car to drive across & see the USA.
Even though Scrambler's got street tires, it did steady 80MPH on Interstate (even in the rain) when I showed him around.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/RedScrambler/DSC02641.jpg

So If you see the Red Scrambler running around or broke down, they're good people.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Red 88 J10

AMC Collector owned built in 87 and titled with emissions decal in 88.

Similar to 86 Scramblers deal as 85's, however Chrysler paid the money to have remaining 120 J Trucks emissions certified as 88 models.

Truck is a rebuilt machine 133K total miles, they did an awesome job of making the entire J Truck and the 401 engine SWAP look factory. Although I don't think Colorado Red is that plastic looking paint.
Collector put 20K miles after restore .... towing his AMC cars around.

Ebay auction ended at 10K with reserve not met.

KGrHqNksE3OJvHQpBOUIJhsLw48_12-1.jpg

KGrHqEOKpoE4mEZjHbTBOUIKBClg48_12-1.jpg

Very rare to find nice J Trucks & with Red color and condition, I had to post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0Q...emZ160641355043QQsspagenameZSTRKQ3aMEDWXQ3aIT

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's physically painful how much I want that truck.

I know of one sitting in a garage near me that's in fantastic shape, but green. Owner died, wife still lives in the house and no one ever seems to drive it :( I stopped one day when I saw them outside to ask about it and got the story from widower and her son. I wasn't too nosy, but it's in great shape from a glance. Incredibly clean.

Every time I go by that house I check to see if the garage door is up to sneak another peek.

Someday I'll find one....